Hello

pammeredith
pammeredith Member Posts: 17
edited January 2012 in General discussion

Hi Everyone,

I have just joined the group and wanted to introduce myself.

Im 56 years of age and was diagnosed with secondary breast cancer (bone metastises) in November 2011. Previous to this i was diagnosed with two lots of different breast cancer and treatment consisted of a double masectomy, chemotherapy, radiotherapy and hormonal therapy tablets.

I am still learning how to deal and cope with the diagnosis of "Secondary Breast Cancer" which is why i have joined this group to meet and talk with people who are in a similar situation.

I look forward to chatting with you all.

Pam

Comments

• Julie Bache
    Julie Bache Member Posts: 111
    edited March 2015

Hi Pam.

You are only the second I have come across to have BC mets in bones!!

I was diagnosed with bone mets in 2007 after initial breast cancer in 2001. Iniatally, I had lumpectomy and radiation then was on tamoxifan for five years. I believe that very soon after being told all was good and go off tamoxifan, bone mets started. It was after nearly a year of complaining of leg and hip pain that diagnosis was finally made!

By this time bone in left femur was deacyed to almost breaking and I had a metal rod inserted tp support the bone. Three years later, after some months of continued pain, the rod snapped unexpectedly! This was, apparently, because the bone was broken and the rod had been 'free wheeling'! Back for more surgery last June to have a metal plate inserted the length of my thigh with 13 screws to hold it in place!! I was convenced this had to hold!

I changed surgeons (because i didn't like this rude, pompous prick, not because of his work) and this new surgeon was concerned the bone was not healing and metal could again be compromised. More surgery! he wanted to do a bone graft. When he went in he found the bone was dead (hence the metal not holding) and had to cut out 5cm of bone before he could attach the graft. Now, with leg shorter, I am on 'strictly non-weight bearing for at least 3 months to give bone a good chance to heal. I feel I definitely made the right decision to change surgeons. He also took out the plate.

The positive in all this is that the mets have barely changed over the 4 years so the zometa infusions and femara tablets are doing their job by protecting bones and suppressing oestregen.

What treatment are you currently having? Hopefully yours has been able to be controlled also. Look forward to hearing more of your story.

Take care, julie.

• pammeredith
    edited March 2015

Hi Mary,

Yes, this website is very useful. I find it very hard to join a group around my area so this website is my only option and is very valuable.

Not good to hear about the latest results from the scan, however you never know what is around the corner with other treatment options. Have you been in much pain?

Let me know how you go with your next oncologist appointment.

Take Care,

Pam

• pammeredith
    edited March 2015

Hi Julie,

That is good news to hear that the bone mets have barely changed over 4 years, obviously the treatment is working well. I hope I will be in the same situation in 3.5years time.

I am currently on Aromasin and Xgenva injection once a month and oxycontin which is controlling pain which I experience on and off.  I was taking Femara initially when I was diagnosed with the second lot of cancer in my breast and then they changed it to Aromasin. Scans show that it is not necessary at the moment to have anymore radiation yet.  I have already had 10 sessions to the lower and upper spine area which helped immensely.

My last blood results showed that the cancer markers had decreased quite a lot therefore the medication I am taking is controlling the cancer at the moment.  I will have another blood test in a couple of weeks so I am hoping for a good result again.

Wishing you all the best and look forward to hearing from you again.

Pam

• Anne Maree
    Anne Maree Member Posts: 173
    edited March 2015

Just noticed you mentioned you have liver mets. I was diagnosed in sept 2010 with liver and bone mets. Have undergone 2 lots iv chemo with regrowth liver mets and bone mets july2011. I am estrogen positive. I am currently stable and taking zoladex,xgeva and femara.

• ejacinta
    ejacinta Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2015

hi everyone- my first time here as well. My secondary diagnosis came pretty much at the same time as my primary- so it's been a hell of a ride since last december. I have two children 11 and nearly 9- and completely understand the fear about not being there for them. I tell myself that I am watching them grow up- every day. Mostly that works. Mostly.
    My bone met is in my sternum and lumbar region. So far- there has been no growth this year. I am hoping this means a long time of living with it.

Im just about to have another set of scans -ct and bone...the bone pain is a wierd pain...and Im just starting to have to consider radiation.

thanks for your words everyone-

It is really good not feeling so alone.

Jacinta

• ejacinta
    edited March 2015

hi everyone- my first time here as well. My secondary diagnosis came pretty much at the same time as my primary- so it's been a hell of a ride since last december. I have two children 11 and nearly 9- and completely understand the fear about not being there for them. I tell myself that I am watching them grow up- every day. Mostly that works. Mostly.
    My bone met is in my sternum and lumbar region. So far- there has been no growth this year. I am hoping this means a long time of living with it.

Im just about to have another set of scans -ct and bone...the bone pain is a wierd pain...and Im just starting to have to consider radiation.

thanks for your words everyone-

It is really good not feeling so alone.

Jacinta

• Karen C
    Karen C Member Posts: 25
    edited March 2015
    Iam almost 7 years post mets diagnosis. Things have changed very little in that time.Ichange tablets when the cancer spreads and life goes on .There is always a cloud,though.Good luck to you all
  • ejacinta
    edited March 2015

thanks Karen. it is so very reassuring to hear messages like yours. Im getting better at the living with cancer thing- but i really need to hear that the mets diagnosis doesnt necessarily mean a fast track.

• Julie Bache
    Julie Bache Member Posts: 111
    edited March 2015
    My bone mets have been stable for nearly 6 years now. My problems are all to do with trying to stabilise femur fracture found at time of diagnosis. Am up to operation number 5!! There are so many different rides this horrid disease takes us on but there are also many different solutions. Good luck to all on your various journeys. xx
  • Karen C
    edited March 2015
  • Karen C
    edited March 2015
    thanks jacinta & julie,this is my third go to reply to you. excited to get a reply.my words disappear.Third time lucky
  • ejacinta
    edited March 2015

Karen  I agree, it's wonderful to know there are others out there who understand. I love your posiitve energy- and it doesnt matter if the technology makes it seem tricky- better to get lots of responses rather than not get through at all.

so great to stay in touch.

Jacinta

• ejacinta
    edited March 2015

Karen  I agree, it's wonderful to know there are others out there who understand. I love your posiitve energy- and it doesnt matter if the technology makes it seem tricky- better to get lots of responses rather than not get through at all.

so great to stay in touch.

Jacinta

• Karen C
    edited March 2015
    just trying to work this out. 5th attempt one more try
  • Karen C
    edited March 2015
    just trying to work this out. 5th attempt one more try