Reconstruction where to start?

Options
sarahlouine
sarahlouine Member Posts: 2
Hi all, I had a full right side mastectomy 4 years ago. I live in Melbourne and want to start the process for reconstruction and don't know where to begin. I need to go through the public system. Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks Sarah 

Comments

• Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Hi I am in Sydney so can’t help with Melbourne specific issues ( although it does seem that both cities have many great surgeons in this area in both the public and private systems) but the two places you could start are the “ Choosing breast reconstruction” private group on here and the “ Reclaim your Curves” website.
    The main decision is implants versus using your own tissue ( fat).
    I had the latter - it’s a bigger surgery but I’m very happy with the results.
    Many ladies are also happy with implants .
    All the best and take care.🌺
  • Abbydog
    Abbydog Member Posts: 482
    Options
    I am from Adelaide. I went Private, so probably no help in that way. My Mastectomy was in 2020.
    But I agree with  Julez1958. re her advice re those internet sites, and the main choice being implants or your own tissue.
    Having said that, I initially wanted the DIEP. But not everyone is suitable. I wasn't. I have recently had a Lat Dorsi. I'm still having tissue expanders filled.So far I'm quite happy with my results. I am so happy just being symmetrical. All the best. I hope some one can help you with how to proceed in the Public system. Do some research and write down any questions that you will want to ask when you get an appointment.
  • sarahlouine
    sarahlouine Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the help/comments, much appreciated x
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options