Sydney University is doing a study on Fear of Recurrence ....... check it out

arpie
arpie Member Posts: 7,524
edited February 2022 in Community news and events
The things that pop into my FB stream ..... Yesterday it was notification that Sydney Uni is doing a 'Fear of Recurrence' Study & is asking anyone with breast or Ovarian cancers to take part ...... and to 'pick the right answer' - Yes or No - as to whether the answer is correct or not - the word/question/answer is about us reading more into (or overthinking) words or statements or symptoms.

https://sydney.au1.qualtrics.com/CP/File.php?F=F_0lJ5WV6FXMxCJls

I did it last night and if getting the answers wrong means that I have a fear of recurrence - I reckon I'll be in the top 10%!!  :(

I must have 'passed' - as I get another set of questions next week!!

COGNITIVE BIAS MODIFICATION (CBM) FOR FEAR OF CANCER RECURRENCE/PROGRESSION

You are invited to take part in a research study looking at a novel intervention for fear of cancer recurrence or progression (FCR), known as Cognitive Bias Modification (CBM). FCR is natural and common amongst cancer survivors, and leads people living beyond cancer to interpret many situations in light of their experience (a potential threat of recurrence or progression). CBM is an intervention that is administered online and trains people not to interpret ambiguous situations in a threatening way.
By doing so, people reduce their anxiety. CBM has been shown to be helpful in a range of populations including in people with anxiety and depression. However there is only one pilot study in people living beyond breast cancer. That study achieved promising results, and we aim to test CBM in a larger trial to see if CBM does reliably reduce FCR, and if the results extend to women with ovarian cancer.

https://sydney.au1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8HRDp6WSgjjXXpA?fbclid=IwAR2fB8uR9MnChFi0ZcaClfxA5w3HI_B0jN6ZVvcOCzVo6MhXIz6nVJ77yc8

Comments

• FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    This looks great Arpie!! I’m looking forward to doing it soon, in a couple days when I’m a bit freer. I’m curious to know my results. 
    Thank you 😊. 
  • arpie
    It would actually be good for those without fear of recurrence to try as well, I reckon @FLClover.... cos they should get ALL the answers right ..... 

They want you to do it fairly quickly & go with your 'first' answer - not to 'ponder each question' & change your mind ... 

I'd definitely be interested in everyone's thoughts on it & how they think they 'went' with it!
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    I did this just now arpie and it says I will get some more questions to do in a few days!  
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    Done, not eligible. Recurrence, or a new cancer, is always possible, just as the first one was always possible but knowing that isn’t the same as being anxious about it, for me. Any therapy that can reduce the anxiety many feel would be an excellent thing. 
  • arpie
    WOW!!  So you got the correct answers for most of the questions, straight up, @Afraser?  So no more questions for you next week!

Personally, I thought some of the statements/word associations were a bit were weird too - cos there really wasn't a yes or no answer for them but that was the only choice you had ..... and if you got it wrong, they keep asking it again later in the survey until they get an answer they like!  

• Afraser
    I don’t know about correct answers, just ones that didn’t ‘qualify’ me for a further round! No point in doing a study with people who aren’t experiencing much anxiety. I have the advantages of years since diagnosis, age and coming to terms with my own mortality - all of which helps but all of which takes time too! 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543
    @Afraser
    By the sounds of it you are in a good place.  Acceptance of was but with some work emotionally and active treatment you've come through in front
    Excellent!
    Take care
  • Afraser
    You too @iserbrown, we all need to find our own way. 
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    I just undertook the study, and I am not eligible to continue the study.  I take that as a good sign :)
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    I am also not eligible to continue the study. 
  • arpie
    That's a good sign, @FLClover!   Well done

• arpie
    Just did my 2nd set of questions ...... similar to the first lot - got less wrong this time - will get another lot in 3 days ...