Skin Reaction to Glue after Surgery

Options
Chrissy1121
Chrissy1121 Member Posts: 20
Evening everyone, just wanted to ask if anyone has had a reaction to Dermabond from their surgery.  I unfortunately developed a very sore and painful reaction which spread across my wound and under my armpit.  It has been 10 days post mastectomy right breast and still treating this rash with another lot of meds and ointment prescribed by my surgeon after examination yesterday.   I also have a mild case of shingles probably brought on from stress on my body I would imagine. I will be considering reconstruction next year so definitely need to get to the bottom of this before anymore surgeries. Just interested to know if anyone else has had this painful experience.

Comments

• Ausmum2
    Ausmum2 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Hi there @Chrissy1121
    I discovered a few years ago that I’m anaphylactic to Colophony (found by accident). 
    Colophony is a naturally occurring resin commonly used in surgical glues and sticking plasters/dressings. 
    It has meant I can’t have any surgical glue (and in fact limited dressings). 
    I strongly suggest you see an allergist/dermatologist for testing for allergies. 
    Colophony is one of the allergies that can develop due to exposure. 
    (We think my response developed due to significant exposure to shellac - like French polishers develop). 
    But there are other options. (I’ve had to have a patient surgeon with “old school” tiny stitches and I’ve had the wound management team involved for dressings etc). 

Good luck 

• Chrissy1121
    Chrissy1121 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks for your feed back, I will definitely make an appointment to see a dermatologist.