No Income Insurance

Options
nonnie
nonnie Member Posts: 4
edited January 2012 in Day to day

I have had all my treatments and now I'm feeling fine.  However, I have been told by my insurance company that I will no longer be covered by 'loss of income' insurance.

I thought  they my say no cover for cancer, but no cover at all really surprised me.

Is this the norm?

After all I've been through this really hurt.

Comments

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

Wecome to the site.  What insurance company.  I know that there has been a lot of discussion on travel insurance on this site for BC survivors.  I work for the Queensland Govt and our Q-Super has an income protection cover that has a life span of 2 years then "out you go".  At the end of this month I am in that category.  I used "time" back in 2006/2007 when I was first diagnosed and then I have been on it since Dec 2010 with a second diagnosis so it runs out 28th Jan 2012.  As my health is very unpredictable (unfortunately I have a lot of residual pain post chemo and periferal neuopathy query) I have applied for Total and Permanent Disability through my Q-Super.  I will have to resign of course if this is granted.  I am only 55  so if down the track things improve and I go back to work (only part time though) I suppose that I will never be able to get income protection ever again.  You might want to do a search on this site using "income protection".  Not knowing all your details it is hard to comment on your situation.  If you are with a private company then maybe try another one.  I hope you get some more replies on this. XLeonie

• Celbird
    Celbird Member Posts: 680
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'd be interested to know what Insurance Company you are talking about Nonnie. I am like you Leonie in that I work for the SA Government (Part-time) and have government superannuation that has an income protection component to it. Our income protection has an 18 month life span per claim, then you have to have a 2 year break before you can put in a further claim. As I claimed with early breast cancer (which expired in 2010), I cant put in another claim until early April 2012. I also have the option of applying for TPD lump sum payment, but at this stage I'm not sure what I'm going to do...all depends on the treatment and how things go. Also, I am only 43, and to resign from a permanent govt job is a big decision for me particularly as I am a sole parent. Oh the joys of BC...it affects every part of our lives and its just not fair! Take care Celeste x

• nonnie
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Leonie, It sounds like if you work for the government things are a bit better, I'm covered by, or was covered by QBE Ins. a couple of years ago I had 2 weeks off for a knee op, and with my cancer I've worked mostly though, only taking at most 2 months off, where the cover was for 2 years, the same as yours.  I've had this insurance for at least 15 years so you can understand my disappointment when they refused to renew the ins.  Being a partner in a small business this Ins enabled us to employ someone else when I could not be there. My broker says he can't find anyone else to take on the Ins, but I will be trying myself as well.

I'm sorry to hear you have so much after pain.  I'm 57, I had 2 operations one to remove the cancer and one to take more surround and lympth nodes, 4 rounds of chemo and 6 weeks of radiotheraphy.  I've been pretty lucky, it's nine months now and I'm almost back to normal.

Thanks for the reply.   XMarion

• nonnie
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Celeste, It sounds like if you work for the government things are a bit better, I'm covered by, or was covered by QBE Ins. a couple of years ago I had 2 weeks off for a knee op, and with my cancer I've worked mostly though, only taking at most 2 months off, where the cover was for 2 years, the same as yours.  I've had this insurance for at least 15 years so you can understand my disappointment when they refused to renew the ins.  Being a partner in a small business this Ins enabled us to employ someone else when I could not be there. My broker says he can't find anyone else to take on the Ins, but I will be trying myself as well.

I'm 57, I had 2 operations one to remove the cancer and one to take more surround and lympth nodes, 4 rounds of chemo and 6 weeks of radiotheraphy.  I've been pretty lucky, it's nine months now and I'm almost back to normal.    I hope things go better for you.
    Thanks for the reply.   XMarion