I don't know what to do!

Options
2»

Comments

• Melr
    Melr Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2015
    Options

I've had a Grade 3 cancer. I had a bilateral mastectomy in Dec 2011 and lymph nodes removed. The cancer wasn't in the nodes. I've started Arimidex. The oncologist gave me the OPTION of having 4 cycles of chemo as well - Taxotere and Cyclophosphamide. I have to decide by tomorrow as apparently there is a 3 month window of time between diagnosis and treatment. I am worried about the permanent damage of these drugs such as kidney damage. Also I don't know if I should even have the chemo or not. Everytime I decide to have it I think I am silly because it could cause permanent damage. Then I think if I don't I haven't done everything in my power to get rid of any stray cancer cells! Can anyone talk to me who's been in a similar situation? Please?

• LeeS
    LeeS Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was ready to throw the towel in half way through chemo because it was making me so sick. My dad ( who is a doctor) said...go on then, 3 treatments is better than none at all. BUT no matter how much I was suffering I felt that I had to go on and finish the treatments just to know that I did everything in my power that was offered to me. I'm glad I did. There's enough worry down the track about having breast cancer again. At least this way I feel that if by some small chance there was still cancer in me after my surgery...I had well and truly dealt with it. It's like having a clean slate. Good luck with your decisions. Speak to your oncologist. XXX

• Melr
    Melr Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Lee. It's the hardest decision I've ever had to make.