Case of the sads before mastectomy

2»

Comments

• NeG
    NeG Member Posts: 8
    You'll be there or thereabouts by now.  I just wanted to say, it's going to be ok.  I had a single mastectomy in March.  It's weird, there's no denying.  You won't be able to feel your boob.  But hopefully the recon means you'll have a boob that looks close to normal - it won't feel close to normal and that's sad, there's no getting around it. You'll feel down but you'll also come around  - shit unlucky to be in this situ but also lucky it's not far worse.  Big love, It's onwards from here.
  • ellendorf
    ellendorf Member Posts: 13
    They do and things went well. Fingers crossed!
  • StrongCoffee
    StrongCoffee Member Posts: 128
    @ellendorf how are you feeling now? Hopefully your recovery is going smoothly so far.
  • ellendorf
    ellendorf Member Posts: 13
    Hi. Released from hospital Wednesday. Feeling good with little pain. Doctors are happy with how the mastectomy and reconstruction went. Feels weird as expected although more weird than I thought… no cancer around the nipple so they have grafted that. Won’t know for two weeks whether that has taken. Stupidly thought that was a given - don’t know why I thought that?? And pathology will take another week. Hoping of course they got the DCIS at the outer markers and clear tissue after that so no chemo or radiotherapy required… Bit more pain the last couple of days but think that is because I have been walking. Not much but from zero to something maybe too much too soon?? Getting good sleep and great support from breast care team and all staff at the hospital  and of course family and friends. Haven’t seen the handiwork but hope everything healing under bandages!!! Will let you know more after next week’s doctors appointment! Xx
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    That is good news @ellendorf.  Take it easy as you don't want to ruin the good work.  Pleased you are having great supports all round.  Take any meds prescribed so ay pain does not get on top of you.  Good luck for your follow-up appointment.  💖
  • StrongCoffee
    StrongCoffee Member Posts: 128
    @ellendorf that all sounds good! It's hard to keep track of all the what stays/what goes during the blur of all the appointments! I knew that breast tissue extends towards the armpit and the PS explained it would look different to the other side, but it wasn't until I saw it that I fully understood.

Definitely take it slowly. I'd also notice I'd get sorer as soon as I started trying to do a few little things, so tried to back off as much as I could. It's hard though when you're used to just doing stuff!