Multifocal and multitype - pathology questions

Options
Halla
Halla Member Posts: 185
I have recently had a lumpectomy which removed 4 tumours, multiple instances of DCIS and one LCIS. Some of the tumours are described as ductal invasive breast cancer (IBC) of no special type (NST)and some are ductal IBC NST with mucinous differentiation -one 90% mucinous and one 50%. 

All are strongly ER + PR + HER -. 

Mucinous - grade 1 - 22mm &21mm
Mucinous - grade 2 - 13mm
ductal - grade 1 - 22mm
DCIS - intermediate stage, several, largest 42mm

They have staged it as early breast cancer,  stage 2.

Clear margins and clear sentinel node.

why would they call it an IBC of NST if it is 90% mucinous?

Is it common to have so many different types of cancer at once? Has anyone else had similar?

Would that mean they are unrelated? Which one would they use to determine treatment?

I am worrying - if there were so many different cancers removed, how do we know there are not lots of other ones still there? 

They had trouble enough finding the ones that were there, some couldn’t be seen by ultrasound. The general areas were picked up by MRI but not each individual cancer.

The surgeon has referred me on for genetic testing, oncology etc but have just been waiting for them to contact me, wondering about all of this...

How long is normal to wait for the team to contact me? It’s been 10 days since the surgery.

Appreciate hearing any of your thoughts/experiences!

Comments

• Pink43
    Pink43 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    @Halla. I went back for a post surgery check after 10 ( 10-14) days of surgery as it was booked at the same time as the surgery date. Then at the time of review my surgery wound and discussing the pathology result . The surgeon told me to book an oncologist and radiologist . The waiting time was 2-3/4 weeks to book a private patient appointment.. that’s my recent experience which I was not happy about the long waiting ... ( I thought it should have booked at the same time as surgery ..as everyone needs oncologist plan anyway .. ) 
    Now I am end of my week 6 after surgery and now still waiting to know what is the next treatment plan .. as I was Told last week I needed Oncotype test which is another 3 weeks waiting ... to know the treatment plan .... waitinggg 

The best way is Please phone the secretary to find out what’s next ... 
    I could not help the pathology report .. sorry 

Hope you have a good recovery . All the best  and take easy. Cheers 
  • Halla
    Halla Member Posts: 185
    Options
    Thanks @pink43! I have now been in touch with everyone, seen the oncologist and started letrozole, and had the genetic test (brca not oncotype). Waiting for results before deciding : radiation or more surgery. The surgeon said we were ok as long as we did one or the other within 6-12 weeks of first surgery. 

They said it’s exceptionally busy right now post COVID lockdowns. 

Good luck with your plan, are they doing the oncotype to see if you need chemo?

keep us updated