What a year!

Options
LeanneF
LeanneF Member Posts: 11
edited December 2011 in Day to day

Well now it's all nearly over. Chemo from March to June went OK. 3 hits of FEC without too many side effects other than some overnight nausea and then tiredness. Then 3 hits ot Taxotere. It was a bit rougher on me. Had a sore throat for  a week or so each time but soft and warm foods sorted that out. Then the tingly feet which I still have but its only a minor annoyance. Bit sore in the joints and that has stayed with me so I suppose it's something I will have to live with for now. Fingernails lifted and then cracked away. Very ugly but now they are almost back to normal.Tiredness really caught up with me by June and I had to rest alot. Having said that, I did squeeze in a ski holiday late September. Was surprised that I skied as much as I did without getting too exhausted.  Hair fell out after about 2 weeks of chemo. Wore a wig eventually. Most people didn't recognise me. Cute little bob but very unlike my real hair which was long, thick and wavy. Ditched the wig late September and went really short. Looked OK. Was too hot and uncomfortable as the weather warmed up to wear the wig. Now I am sporting a short, tight curly do. Would love some more length but that will come with time. Use heaps of gel to tame it. Its wild! I have no control over it really.

My oncologist has put me on Femara. It seems OK but the achey joints seem to be a problem still. I call it my old lady drug because thats how I feel when I get up in the morning. I'm OK once I get going. Bending is uncomfortable too so I just leave things on the floor. Someone else will pick it up eventually! Have my warm moments too. Oh well.

Went into the Wesley last week and had the second stage of the reconstruction done. It's nice to have a normal looking boob again. Had a silicone one inserted. The tissue expander became quite hideous after a while. It was so large and stuck out like a baseball. But it did its job and now all is good. The last few pump ups were uncomfortable too and it restricted the movement of my arm for a fair while. Physio helped that. Went back to work in term 3 on graduated return. Had to build up my strength and when I look back now I didn't realise how tired I really was. Term 4 I was back full time and working long hours but managed to stay afloat. Some days I did too much and hit the wall so I just made a mental note not to do that again. Only had to take one day off to rest and that helped.  People at work were pretty good about my vagueness. I'm not so quick any more and I think slowly and don't always remember things on the spot.  It's slowed me down but I reckon thats a good thing. Seeing the BC ladies every fortnight has been great too. They get it, sometimes other people don't! So now I have reached the end of this road for now. I was so excited about finishing the boob but also found myself a little unexpectedly overwhelmed. Had a little private meltdown one night at the Wesley last week but then I found the voice in my head and told myself to suck it up, and I did. Can't wait to the New Year and say goodbye to this horrible year. This has been my year to get well and next year is my year to get fit again.  Roll on 2012.

Comments

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

Me too.  I can't wait for 2012.  I want to get fit again as well.  I keep telling myself that the aches and pains will ease eventually.  The Physio thinks that I should go walking.  Hope I can get home again once I'm out!!!.  It has been quite a year of hell for me too as today marks the 1st anniversary of my second diagnosis.  I feel now I can cross over the line and start to get MY life back again.  Things are very different for me though this time as I have decided not to return to work in the near future.  I still get so....oooo tired and my health is very unreliable.  I would like a few more good days each week now - time I suppose.  Take care XLeonie

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

Forget exercise! Get a spa! I've just been lying in my new spa for the first time, with a glass of champaigne and it's wonderful. When I got out I couldn't feel any of my aches and pains.Now I don't know if that's the spa or the champas.It's good to get past that 1st year anniversary isn't it.I'm about 18mths now but don't feel too confident in my health yet.Hope you have a good Christmas and a great start to 2012.

Tonya xx

• LeanneF
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Leonie. Congrats on your 1 year anniversary for second time around. Hope you go well with your fitness plan too. My physio tells me to walk too and I stare at the treadmill that I bought to use during chemo ( and I did on the good days) but can't find the energy or will to use it right now. Next year! Be good to yourself over the Christmas season. Leanne :) 

• LeanneF
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Tonya.  I think your idea of a few champagnes to ease the pain may come in handy over the festive season. Look after yourself and all the best for 2012. Leanne :)