radiation!

Options

Comments

• Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 924
    Options
    The wonder woman shield is called a boulis.  I asked the technician today.  He said it's used as an extra protection for your skin during radiation.    I'm starting to feel itchy with the metapil but I'm trying not to think about it as I know it will be worth it in the long run.
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,537
    Options
    @Locksley I also thought it was for extra protection and asked them if that was it, but they said that it actually serves as extra tissue and aids the effectiveness. I had to ask a few times as I couldn’t quite grasp what they were saying, so I’m not sure what I actually understood 🤷🏼‍♀️. I kept it as a souvenir. 
    My skin was also very itchy from the Mepitel, at one point my ribs hurt from all the scratching. But it does calm down, and very def worth it. Good on you 👌🏻
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Definitely ask about the Mepitel (it does come under different brand names but they'll know what you're talking about).  Some places offer it, some don't, some have it but only use it when asked.  There's also different ideas about how it will be used.  For my treatment, it was put on beforehand on the Monday, patched during the week if necessary, and I took it off when I got home on Friday.  During the weekend I was free to shower and use moisturiser (my go to was Moo Goo).  My skin held up beautifully - about 3 weeks after treatment ended, I go a small tender patch on my side.  I believe the StrataXRT cream is excellent but I think you have to supply it yourself at most places and it is quite expensive.
  • mg2
    mg2 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    thanks for that information, have not heard of any of the products you mention  , i note that you are both from south australia i am from Melbouurne and have not heard any mention of this , any Victorians on here that have heard or been advised about this product
  • Locksley
    Options
    Hi @mg2 I'm in Melbourne and the nurses at my hospital have advised me that they use mepitel only on patients that have had a mascectomy.  I'm currently having treatment with this product. I do feel it is very good.  I do peel and feel like a lepper at times.  Nurse patches me up.
  • Abbydog
    Abbydog Member Posts: 482
    Options
    It did peel at the edges sometimes. The nurses were great. I know one lady had hers fixed daily. But well worth it. It probably sticks better to people who have had the Mastectomy as it is flatter. 
  • mg2
    Options
    ok Hi @Locksley, i havent had a masectomy , had 2 small tumours and 2 nodes removed, so lumpectomy is it only available to masectomy patients then???
  • noosa_blue150
    noosa_blue150 Member Posts: 211
    edited January 2021
    Options
    According to research papers I’ve read on use of mepitel , it can be used on lumpectomy or mastectomy patients. I can see how it may adhere better to a flat chest wall post mastectomy easier than breast tissue post lumpectomy BUT I will be arguing I’m prepared to fiddle and persevere with it  if that’s what they say to me  on first my radiation appointment ( and I’ll purchase my own if need be). The benefits ( protecting from radiation. burns) far outweighs the disadvantages from what I’ve read and seen so,far. 
  • Locksley
    Options
    Hi @mg2 the nurse who wrapped me up in it told me it was only used on mastectomy patients.  You could definitely ask them for it. It is well worth it. I'm just starting my 3rd week and I'm feeling pink and hot in places. Each hospital is different. I've asked to use the strata gel some ladies have mentioned and my hospital says it's too expensive they don't use it. My wound site is not flat  it's bumpy and lumpy.  I hope I didn't put you off that wasn't my plan.  
  • mg2
    Options
    than
    ks for all the above information , its much appreciated
  • Locksley
    Options
    Is anyone experiencing upset bottom after radiation.  I had this thru chemo most of the time and the last 2 days of radiation have had me on the toilet for hours.
  • Kiki_Dances60
    Kiki_Dances60 Member Posts: 40
    Options
    @mg2 I had my surgery 7/1 and don’t see the radiation oncologist until 10/2. They ‘can’t fit me in for the actual radiation until end Feb’. So that makes it 6 weeks post surgery. I also am worried about the waiting/delay but I’ve been encouraged by the comments above from those with experience. 
  • Locksley
    Options
    @Kiki_Dances60 I was advised 6 - 8 weeks is a standard time for radiation.  I finished chemo 23 Nov 20 and didn't start radiation until 11 Jan 21.  I had a stint in hospital just before I was due to start and then Christmas / New Year when they were closed.   On my third week now.   
  • Kiki_Dances60
    Kiki_Dances60 Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Thanks @Locksley. Good to know.