Weight

Options
Allicat
Allicat Member Posts: 83
edited December 2011 in Health and wellbeing

I have avoided weighing myself for months because I suspected I had put on some weight. Yesterday at the hospital they weighed me which confirmed it.

I can't handle gaining weight.

A while ago I discussed my weight with my counsellor and she suggested that I should weigh myself less often. But what she didn't seem to understand was that at the time weighing myself comforted me. I would feel nervous that I had gotten fat but I would weigh myself and it would confirm that I actually hadn't.

So, now if I actually have gained weight I don't know how to deal with. Usually in my pre-cancer life I watched what I ate but I was also aware of trying not to be obsessed by it and not depriving myself if I really wanted something.

Last night I mentioned this to my mum and she said I had enough going on without worrying that I was eating too much. Then she said she shouldn't have offered me that second piece of pie.

I don't want to be in a place where I am obsessed with what I eat. But I also don't want to be the weight that I now am or gain more. I don't know how to reconcile these 2 things.

Comments

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

We moved house about 10 weeks ago and only just recently found the scales. I haven't paid any attention to diet as I have been so caught up in the move- painting walls,moving furniture etc.Anyway,to my surprise,I'd lost 1.5kgs and that kinda encouraged me to want to lose some more.I think it's a matter of compromising and portion control.I love chocolate so I have a small amount once aweek.You don't have to deny yourself but rather ration the treats out abit. I'm sure you know what your favourite naughty foods are so only keep enough in the cupboard for a small treat.If you can just budge 1 kilo then it will spur you on.I'm going to weigh myself every 2 or 3 weeks cos I want to lose about 5 kilos but I'm not in a hurry.How much would you like to lose?

Tonya xx

• Allicat
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am 34 & on medication which is turning off my ovaries so mimicking menopause.

I have always been thin and I am a runner so it is important to me to be thin. Generally on those healthy height/weight charts I have been verging on underweight. By any reasonable analysis I am not overweight now but I am 4 kilograms heavier than I was.

I might be eating more at work due to feeling tired and having a hard time getting through the day. But I have been through phases of trying to not eat so many snacks at work and I like feeling happy to eat if I want to.

Years ago, I read an article about eating disorders and I had 7 of the 8 signs. I have since gotten better about not stressing about what I eat but I still try to eat healthily.

I think the problem now is that I have trained myself to think that watching what I eat any more than what I already do is a bad & unhealthly eating-disorder type behaviour.

In terms of exercise I do training 6 days a week. The only area where there is great room for improvement is that I used to always walk to and from work and lately I have been catching the bus or driving. This is because I have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning so I am always running late and don't have time to walk.

I have trouble getting to sleep lately. I feel like if I could just catch up on my sleep it would help with all my other problems.

• Allicat
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am 34 & on medication which is turning off my ovaries so mimicking menopause.

I have always been thin and I am a runner so it is important to me to be thin. Generally on those healthy height/weight charts I have been verging on underweight. By any reasonable analysis I am not overweight now but I am 4 kilograms heavier than I was.

I might be eating more at work due to feeling tired and having a hard time getting through the day. But I have been through phases of trying to not eat so many snacks at work and I like feeling happy to eat if I want to.

Years ago, I read an article about eating disorders and I had 7 of the 8 signs. I have since gotten better about not stressing about what I eat but I still try to eat healthily.

I think the problem now is that I have trained myself to think that watching what I eat any more than what I already do is a bad & unhealthly eating-disorder type behaviour.

In terms of exercise I do training 6 days a week. The only area where there is great room for improvement is that I used to always walk to and from work and lately I have been catching the bus or driving. This is because I have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning so I am always running late and don't have time to walk.

I have trouble getting to sleep lately. I feel like if I could just catch up on my sleep it would help with all my other problems.

• TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm on Tamoxifen and I know that has contributed to my weight gain.It has also cranked up the hot flushes and sleepless nights. Now I take a low dose antidepressant(endep)and that helps me sleep and reduces hot flushes.I don't know what you are on but I guess the side effects are a bother - all of these drugs seem to be.You sound like an expert on fitness and healthy eating.But it also seems you are pushing yourself an awful lot what with work and training 6 days a week- especially after breast cancer treatments.Gosh,no wonder you are tired in the morning.I have a daughter(27)who I would say hedges around an eating disorder.She is tall and thin-52kgs and is always going on this or that diet but basically eats healthy. When she puts on a few kilos she actually looks better for it. If you were underweight before maybe the few extra kilos look good on you? You probably need the snacks to get you through the day.Don't think you should be trying to make improvements on your already physically demanding week.I don't know how you manage what you do.

Tonya xx

• TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm on Tamoxifen and I know that has contributed to my weight gain.It has also cranked up the hot flushes and sleepless nights. Now I take a low dose antidepressant(endep)and that helps me sleep and reduces hot flushes.I don't know what you are on but I guess the side effects are a bother - all of these drugs seem to be.You sound like an expert on fitness and healthy eating.But it also seems you are pushing yourself an awful lot what with work and training 6 days a week- especially after breast cancer treatments.Gosh,no wonder you are tired in the morning.I have a daughter(27)who I would say hedges around an eating disorder.She is tall and thin-52kgs and is always going on this or that diet but basically eats healthy. When she puts on a few kilos she actually looks better for it. If you were underweight before maybe the few extra kilos look good on you? You probably need the snacks to get you through the day.Don't think you should be trying to make improvements on your already physically demanding week.I don't know how you manage what you do.

Tonya xx

• Joy K
    Joy K Member Posts: 158
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have had no personal experience with the eating disorder you describe but I have watched a friend who was also treated for breast cancer go through what you are describing. She wouldn't take dexamethasone to prevent the nausea of chemotherapy because she was frightened of weight gain. She lost weight (while most of us gain a few kilograms) but it was muscle mass because she felt so lousy she couldn't keep up her exercise regime.

My only advice is to keep up your protein intake and lessen the sugars. More fruit and vegetables and a lot of fluids. In other words, healthy eating. Take healthy snacks to work so you are not tempted!

Kathy has some great inobtrusive ways to increase your activity level to make up for the driving to work. Thanks Kathy, I'll try to use some of them!

Good luck with your weight control allicat

With love

Joy K

• pisces_tas
    pisces_tas Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2015
    Options

hi allicat,

you do not say how old you are, or if you have had menopause, or how overweight you are for your height.

first.. no one is perfect, so forgive yourself.

tomorrow is  another day !

moving the body helps to keep it healthy.

sitting all day ( on the computer typing in BCNA site does not help ..LOL )

music.. dancing at home.. walking around the clothesline etc.. all helps.

so does eating plenty of vegetables,salads, fruit.. lean protein, nuts, legumes,fish and wholebgrain cereals and breads etc.

some people overeat because of boredom. i tend to eat more if i am angry. when i am happy and doing things, not so much.

maybe keep a food diary..for a couple of weeks.. to see what your food patterns are. there are many places to get information, and advice.

i am post menopausal so my metabolism has slowed. i need to motivate myself too at times. it is easier to SIT all day.. now.. LOL.

30 mins a day of something.. listening to music at home.. dancing in your home. etc or walking..water exercises..something you ENJOY !

you can do 3 lots of walking , 10 minute intervals; not necessarily all at once.

even meditation and quiet time to reflect can be good. stress can make you lay down more fat.

good luck.. be kind to yourself. kathy.

• pisces_tas
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Allicat,

I hope you enjoyed your time at the pool.  Did you say thankyou for the compliment? I find walking can be hepful to destress and help me relax and think things through. I also like gentle water exercises.

Muslce weighs more than fat, so technically you can gain weight, but lose body fat. Or you can lose weight, but it is muscle and not fat.

I read there are three elements to fitness : strength (    post menopause and  slight issue with lymph and other aches and pains, it is definitely a challenge.. my excuse maybe ..lol  ) endurance.. and flexibility.  Do not forget to enjoy life and have a laugh !  We all wax and wane at times; it is human. Be kind to yourself too.

It does sound like you are obsessing a bit about wieght.  I had an eating disorder. ( bulimia. )

Treatment to mimic menopause may be affecting your sleeping patterns, and mental thinking. If necessary speak to BC nurse or doctors. You have been, and are still going through treatments, which is scary and  has outcomes that are not always predictable. Science based evidence does show longer survival rates.

BC was a huge thing for me to go through; some "bad" experiences and some "good ". I basically had to start again in many ways. Now i find it best to just go day by day, and try not to worry too far ahead.

Fingers crossed for you. 

Kathy. 

• pisces_tas
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Allicat,

I hope you enjoyed your time at the pool.  Did you say thankyou for the compliment? I find walking can be hepful to destress and help me relax and think things through. I also like gentle water exercises.

Muslce weighs more than fat, so technically you can gain weight, but lose body fat. Or you can lose weight, but it is muscle and not fat.

I read there are three elements to fitness : strength (    post menopause and  slight issue with lymph and other aches and pains, it is definitely a challenge.. my excuse maybe ..lol  ) endurance.. and flexibility.  Do not forget to enjoy life and have a laugh !  We all wax and wane at times; it is human. Be kind to yourself too.

It does sound like you are obsessing a bit about wieght.  I had an eating disorder. ( bulimia. )

Treatment to mimic menopause may be affecting your sleeping patterns, and mental thinking. If necessary speak to BC nurse or doctors. You have been, and are still going through treatments, which is scary and  has outcomes that are not always predictable. Science based evidence does show longer survival rates.

BC was a huge thing for me to go through; some "bad" experiences and some "good ". I basically had to start again in many ways. Now i find it best to just go day by day, and try not to worry too far ahead.

Fingers crossed for you. 

Kathy. 

• Allicat
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Kathy

I did say thank you, as that seemed the appropriate response.

When I talking about gaining weight I guess I really mean how flat or otherwise my stomach is. That's one of the reasons I am not checking the scales.

I am a runner so it is important not to put on extra fat as it will slow me down.

I am somewhat worried about my drugs slowing me down. But I want to do everything I can to avoid having cancer again so for the moment at least I just have to put up with that possibiliy.

I was somewhat bemused by the comment last night but it didn't really upset me. I think I am going ok with not obsessing over my weight but it still just an issue to be aware of in the back of my mind.

I am having a lot of trouble getting to sleep lately. After Christmas I went on holiday & stayed in a motel room with my mum. I slept a lot better while we were away as I felt a lot calmer and my head was not so busy. My counsellor suggested writing in a journal before going to bed to help clear out my head. So, I should probably get around to trying that.

Thanks for your kind wishes