Creative ways to stay connected

Options
Giovanna_BCNA
Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
Hello everyone,
In these challenging times of social distancing as a result of COVID-19,  I was wondering how our members plan to stay connected with family, friends and loved ones.  We have all had to make changes to our daily living and routines.  Im hoping that we can share some tips or ideas with each other that will help us all remain connected and supported during this tricky time.  

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    While we’ve been in self isolation after returning from NZ, my daughter logged us into our grandchildren’s day care newsletter, with lots of stories, videos and photos. Not sure how long day care will last (or how long my daughter will feel comfortable with using it) but it’s been delightful while it keeps going. Email, phone and photos will have to do - must look at Skype! It’s not at all pleasant, but for all our sakes keeping apart is best. A three hour round trip for a wave at the gate is not worth the time or the distress to the children. Keep safe everyone. 
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    We have a big extended family with a long running group chat on FB.  We share everything from holiday photos to silly memes, news, whatever.  It doesn't matter what it is, somebody will end up being the butt of the jokes for that day. Lots of fun.  We've had it running for over two years, but it's getting an absolute flogging at the moment. It's almost like everyone still lives here :)

Stay safe everyone. 
  • Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678
    Options
    I keep in touch with friends using facebook groups.  I've been running a little health and wellness facebook group for 7 years now so most of my conversations are in there :smile:
  • cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 703
    Options
    My grandsons have been teaching me snapchat so that i can chat with them and send them silly pictures and the can send them to me
    the rest are through phone calls and FaceTime. 
    We live in the same area 
    Not sure how the regular babysitting is going to work  If it will be allowed 

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I haven't been using it yet but planning on getting the kids to give me some basic instruction on at least one of the teleconferencing platforms they've been using for school, uni and friendship groups - Zoom, Discord, Google Meets.  My son was watching the same movie as his mates the other night while chatting to them.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    My gym has provided online access to virtual classes. It's not the same as going to a group session, but a couple of the regulars have got together and we  take turns at choosing a class then all do it from home at 8:30. It's not interactive, but it feels like there is more motivation when you know others are doing it too.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,586
    Options
    We are using Emails & Messenger (on Facebook) for more immediate messages - they also have video and phone options as well. You can chat (and see) anyone around the world! 

If you want to do group chats, many are using Zoom 'conference app'.  We are using it with my uke group.  We can't all 'sing together' - only the one person can 'lead' a song - but everyone else gets to sing along at home.  Some groups have had 100 attending a singalong session - we've had up to 20.  We have another one this afternoon.

People are sharing all sorts of ideas to 'keep busy' whilst everyone is being asked to stay at home. There are some great ideas out there for kids too.  
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,586
    Options
    hahaha you are about right there, @Katy_Sodapop -  plus trying NOT TO SEE partners running past in the background in their underwear .....