This is my first time posting ...

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Choosing your words.

Comments

• Mazbeth
    Mazbeth Member Posts: 199
    Options
    This is my first time posting a comment as I was diagnosed just before Christmas and it has taken me quite a bit to adjust to pretty much everything. However, I have been avidly reading all of the supportive messages here and have been building up courage to get involved. In the first couple of weeks I visited a hypnotherapist just trying to get some skills to help me. One thing she said to me was that cancer is a visitor to my body, an uninvited visitor that I was taking steps to get rid of. I agree that it is definitely not a journey. I should add that I have started Chemo and then I will have surgery followed by radiation.  
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    Best of luck @Mazbeth. It’s hard to imagine now but there will come a time when you will have to work hard to remember all of this stuff!  Use whatever support systems that are useful to get you through. One of the reasons I don’t like the  ‘journey’ analogy is that I have always found real journeys at least as interesting as the destination. With cancer, keeping your eye on the destination (no evidence of disease) is the real focus. Yes, the troublesome lodger still has the key but time helps to manage the thought of another unwelcome residency much better. 
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,375
    Options
    Hi @Mazbeth and welcome. It is great you have been able to access the online support. I personally would have struggled so much more without it. Adjusting to the diagnosis followed by the whirlwind which follows is the same as PTSD. If you have any questions or just feel like having a meltdown, feel free to discuss, rant, rage or whatever it takes. @Giovanna_BCNA are you able to give Mazbeth her own thread so that people can meet and support her please? I am sending you big hugs Mazbeth and I am afraid I am a fierce hugger.
  • Mazbeth
    Options
    Thank you so much - I am a complete beginner here and hoping I get the hang of replying. 
    @Afraser and @Blossom1961 - your words of support are just what I needed when my mind is just swirling. Thank you for helping me get started in using this support network. As I said, I had to build my courage to get here - and I am just so happy I did take the step. 
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @Mazbeth

from jennyss in Western NSW
  • JennyD78
    JennyD78 Member Posts: 69
    Options
    Welcome to the forum @Mazbeth .  I wasn't a fan of the "battle", "journey" etc. analogies but I'm also pretty cynical naturally.  Other people find it helpful and really, we all just need to do whatever suits us best in the moment (and change our minds whenever we feel like it!).

I had the same treatment sequence as you and, for me, having the time during chemo to think about and make decisions about surgery was really helpful.  I don't know if I would have been so clear headed and comfortable with my choice if I'd had to make it immediately after being diagnosed.  I hope you aren't finding chemo too rough.  Take care xo
  • Mazbeth
    Options
    I am still trying to figure all of it out and trying not to get too far ahead of myself which is tricky. @JennyD78 I have finished 3 of 4 AC. I am doing pretty well but of course I have had a few blips along the way. I tried the cold cap which didn’t work and this  really knocked me emotionally, but I have dusted myself off and using my wig and feeling a lot better. I am celebrating the small milestones as they come. Final of the 4 next week and then onto the 12 weekly treatments. Thank you for the support. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,580
    Options
    All the best for your ongoing treatment, @Mazbeth - and welcome to BCNA - the club no-one really 'wants' to join - but hopefully, you will find the same immense support and friendship that I have found in the last 2 years.  Ask ANYTHING of everyone - cos we 'get it' - we've 'been there, done that'.

If you need a bit of a laugh after a hard day, jump onto the 'Friday Funnies' and have a giggle & feel free to add your own!!  ;)   Lots of inspiration in the 'Wise Words' thread too xx

Take care xx

• Ahnn
    Ahnn Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Welcome @Mazbeth to a most supportive group of people! They know what you are feeling,  how it hurts and how to listen day and night.  No question is stupid or embarrassing so feel free to ask away. Someone has usually got an answer for you.
  • Nefertari
    Nefertari Member Posts: 288
    Options
    Welcome to the forum @Mazbeth, I also had the same sequence as you.
    This forum has saved my sanity on many occasions, so feel free to vent or ask anything. You also get a laugh, that helps a lot!
    I had a few wobbles along the way but I am finished treatment now.  I thought I was coping very well but I did have to reach out to a psychologist at the end of my treatment, she has helped me enormously.
  • Mazbeth
    Options
    I cannot thank all of you enough - your words of support have already lifted me. @Nefertari I have reached out to a psychologist as whilst I know this is a physical challenge my mind is proving to be incredibly powerful both in positive and negative ways. I really needed to try and get some clarity. It not only takes a village to raise a child, a village is also needed when facing BC.
     My sleeping is all over the place and I am not sure what to do about it. I know the steroids keep me buzzing, but the sleeplessness is going beyond the days of actual treatment. Has anyone got some tips about managing it?
     Reading everyone’s support is really helping me to know that I can do this. I read where someone said that AC ‘is grotty but doable’ and that absolutely nailed it for me, grotty sums it up. Your generosity is so appreciated. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,580
    Options
    I take the occasional temase for sleeping .... it is a low dose sleeping tablet. Not to be used regularly tho.

take care and all the best with your ongoing treatment xx
  • Nefertari
    Nefertari Member Posts: 288
    Options
    @Mazbeth, during my AC I was a horrendous sleeper, usually just catnaps and lots of time awake, I read a lot ;) lol
    I did take a low dose valium occasionally if I was awake for ages, sleep is important.  It did the trick together with the reading, so I could get a few hours of sleep. 
    The good news is once I finished AC, my sleeping improved.  
    These days I do meditation and tapping (someone on here suggested it) and I asked my psychologist about it and she showed me how....works a charm for me. 
  • Mazbeth
    Options
    Thanks @arpie and @Nefertari that helps me - I was wondering if it was just me. Sleep deprivation is the worst and it really impacts on everything and gives me way too much thinking time. This Wednesday is my last AC before I start the 12  taxol so I hope the sleep improves. Thanks for the tip @Nefertari about tapping, I read it somewhere in another discussion so I am going to search for it as I am very open to trying it. 
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,375
    Options
    Someone on here recommended Restavit so I gave it a go. It makes my mind relax and I sleep really well. You can get it over the counter after they ask you twenty questions. I now probably take it once a fortnight just to reset.