Worries/Questions regarding Mastectomy

2»

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I've known some to have surgery with tissue expander in then radiotherapy then go back  and finish the reconstruction. 
    I didn't need radiotherapy as no nodes and stage 1. But I had the 2 stage reconstruction in case pathology suggested otherwise. 
  • Blanka
    Blanka Member Posts: 6
    Hello Shelleyc,
    I had stage 1 but the aggressive one and no need for mastectomy. So I asked my doctor what is the chance I'll get the same cancer in the other breast from 1-5 years and she said ''pretty high''. So my answer was ''what do we talking about, get me double mastectomy I love my life more than my boobs and I don't have a time to spend every day in front of mirror to shape the missing breast to the shape of the other one :D ''. I'm 47, two small kids,  no boobs, no reconstruction and live perfectly happy with it, on tamoxifen for 5 years. Never dropped tear because of my boobs. I cried because I didn't find it fair, why me. Why this approach - I have friend, stage 4 ovarian cancer and it's for her the end time so I consider myself the luckiest person when I compare myself with her. The operation was absolutely ok, no pain (and I was worried about it). And my decision paid off because when the results came back from biopsy, they found another 3 little suckers cancer growing in that breast, not detected on any machines. If I would go just for lumpectomy, I'll be back in no time with them and who knows what stage of cancer. My kind advice, not recommendation, if you like your life, do what doctors said , they know heaps more than us. I wish you all the best love, you can do it !!!  BTW I invented my own bra fillings (not the heavy ones looking like implants) I bought lots of sport bras, because they have the pockets to insert fillings so I cut my old bras from straps, fitted them in the bra and filled the rest (the space) with pillow filling. Light, comfy, airy,.... nobody can see difference!! :D