Bushfires - animal rescue centres

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited January 2020 in Community news and events
Hi everyone, I haven’t been on here much recently. Thinking of everyone battling the terrible bushfires.

Here in SA 1/3 of Kangaroo Island has been burnt out and the Adelaide Hills have had some bad fires too. I feel for the people and the animals affected in Victoria, NSW and other places as well.

We are in a unique position to help the wildlife, particularly if you have finished treatment and might have dressings, tape or other medical supplies to donate to wildlife centres near you. It’s good to ring, or check to find out what they need. 

I’ve just donated some supplies to an Adelaide animal rescue centre which cares for koalas and other native animals caught up in the terrible bushfires here. It’s called the Animal Rescue Collective and it’s on Facebook. There are many people around the country doing amazing things. 

If you are near a wildlife centre or can drop off some items, please do. I know that breast cancer is a very difficult time and this might not be possible, but thank you to everyone who has contributed in big, or small ways. It all counts. Donations are also appreciated by the organisations - am waiting until pay day to make a donation. Thinking of everyone dealing with breast cancer, particularly those affected by these fires. x

Tagged:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    In SA a koala rescue organisation is 1300koalaz https://www.facebook.com/224628930603/posts/10163088372810604/?d=n
  • Allie_P
    Allie_P Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Great thinking! Sometimes it can distract us from our own troubles if we can offer help elsewhere.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @Allie_P it’s just good to be able to do something small and feel less hopeless in these bushfires, isn’t it!  
    All the best with your treatment. I wasn’t sure whether I should ask people to donate medical supplies  when they are already going through so much. x 
  • Allie_P
    Allie_P Member Posts: 8
    Options
    @LucyE My daughter is the one undergoing treatment & her first thought was going through the linen cupboard, so she had the same desire as you. As you say, disasters - whether personal or national -  can bring on a sense of helplessness, so finding something (anything) to do can be beneficial. Often those undergoing hardship are the first to offer help. <3