Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Back off please

Options
cranky_granny
cranky_granny Member Posts: 703
edited October 2019 in Metastatic breast cancer
How do I tell a someone to ease up on the questions, especially when I don't even have the answers myself
Its a close friend so I don't want to hurt her.  but it feels like  a million and one questions every day.
I know this is never going to go away but I would like a day where can at least put it in the background.
Tagged:

Comments

• cranky_granny
    Options
    thanks @kmakm
    I'm usually a very easy going person.  I've just managed to say goodnight to her and got a very big suspicion my troubles are a distraction for her at the moment as she has a lot of not nice stuff happening at the moment.  But I just don't know how long I can keep saying I Don't Know. and my head hurts when I get off the line to her. 
    I'm a bit of a crab and hide in the sand, mostly do what I have to and cross each bridge as I come to it.

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    It's fair to say 'I don't want to talk about it today, if I find out anything new, you'll be the first to know.' 
    Good on you for engaging with her for this long. I don't have the patience which is why a few super needy people got the flick when I felt that every conversation was an exhausting pity fest. It's really hard when you know they are having a tough time, but the old saying 'misery loves company' springs to mind--some folk just love to roll in misfortune like dogs like to roll in dead rabbits. Not helpful when you just want to get away from the smell for a while. Mxx
  • cranky_granny
    Options
    @kmakm thanks i like that one. Especially lets not. This is still all new to me. Maybe i should write down all her questions and ask them for myself. Seeing the radiation oncologist today at 10. I will know the procedure then.
    The one question I really hate is how are you? Then followed by how are you really????

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    You need a gatekeeper to keep these well meaning friends at bay!  At present you need space and distraction not the constant reminder!
    This was the best piece of advice we received from the Counsellor that we were assigned on the day of diagnosis (we being hubby and me).  
    Just let her know today is not the day for discussion as my head needs space and distraction. When I have my appointments and an understanding of it all I will let you know but for now let's just let it be!
    Agree with others, get her talking about herself or if you don't want that then tell her you're going for a soak in the bath or something that she thinks is for you only!

This is about you and best wishes for your treatment plan

Take care

• cranky_granny
    Options
    All great advice thank you all 
    we are having time together on 1st of November so heres hoping we can have that discussion, rather do it face to face. 
    I’ll keep checking in on this post for the words I’ll need
    all my adult life I’ve  been the sounding board for Other peoples troubles 
    even through all of the last 5 difficult years. Maybe because my anxieties weren’t in the open. I don’t  want a pity fest i need the practical Support 

• Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Options
    @cranky_granny. Then there are those who don't ask questions but assume that they know what you are going through. Or, tell you what is going to happen next for you. Or, make it about them.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Or you could try the alternative strategy. Bombard her with information. Go on and on and on. Only for use if desperate but it just might work! 
  • cranky_granny
    Options
    @iserbrown I have my gatekeeper.  Talking to my eldest daughter about my situation and she was ready to jump right in there and have a talk, I've actually had to slow her down till after I see friend next weekend. I wont have all my answers then  but her problems might have seen the light.

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I think saying "I'll  let you know once I know more, meanwhile I need distraction and would like to talk about anything else but this subject. Thanks for understanding. "