New to this!

Bkenny16
Bkenny16 Member Posts: 1
edited October 2010 in Newly diagnosed

Im new to this, not really sure what to do. I guess i'll just go through the jist of my story. I was diagnosed this year with Breast Cancer.. I have a very unsupportive family and when i told them, the response i got was "I hope you don't expect us to pay for it" fortunetly i have an amazing fiance, Michael (Mo for short) and his family have been very good. After biting the bullet and shaving my hair yesterday i decided that i should explore other means of support. I have been finding myself wondering if i should continue treatment or let this run its natural course.. Still havent decided on that front yet. Felt good to write this down though, or type rather. Well, if anyone has read this, thanks but im not really expecting anyone to.

Comments

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015

*raises hand* I read this! :)

Hi Bkenny16, welcome to the network. Hope you enjoy yourself here -- just ask if you need help finding your way around.

Di

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015

*raises hand* I read this! :)

Hi Bkenny16, welcome to the network. Hope you enjoy yourself here -- just ask if you need help finding your way around.

Di

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015

Hi Bkenny16

Sorry for your diagnosis.  Great that you have the support of Michael and his family.  It is great to write stuff down and I found it very beneficial as well.

I too shaved my head, and it felt good to take back some control of a situation that was out of my control!!  Mine was in preparation  for chemo, you mentioned that you do not know what you are doing yet?  You are the only one that can make that decision, but knowledge is power and you need to make an informed decision.

Great that you joined the network, there are many women with different diagnosis and different attitudes, so check out some of the blogs and feel free to ask many questions.

Good luck with it all.  I remember seeing a very powerful speaker once that had a cancer diagnosis and he was very positive and didn't have time for the people that were not supportive of him, or his views and just stayed away from the negative ones.  I try to do that in my life too, most of my friends and family are supportive of my decisions in life, but you know there are always people that see the glass half empty and not halp full, I tend to stay away and feel better about it. 

Good luck.

Tanya

• Denise
    Denise Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2015

Hi Bkenny 16, I agree stay away from the negitve people they are too much hard work.

I also shaved  my head (it was dropping everywhere anyway)

Good luck with everything.

Life is worth fighting for xxxxxxxxx

• Jo.L.
    Jo.L. Member Posts: 89
    edited March 2015

Hi as Tanya said be informed and be empowered. Explore all your options and see what treatment is best for your particular type of cancer. As we know there are many different breast cancers, which is why they 'tailor make' our treatment. I too shaved my head after the first chemo round as I could only do my "Your having a bad hair day' party tricks a couple of times. That was when someone at work complained I pulled a hunk out from the back and waved it at them :) .The thought of treatment can be a bit overwhelming still I had a young family (2002) and I decided that I wanted treatment with the lot to give me the best possible outcome. My kids are now 16,19 & 20 and  I am very happy to see them grow into awesomw adolescents. There is a younger womans group online maybe send those gals a message. I was younger but pleased to say I am older now and still standing.

One of the things I have done post treatment is ridden a Harley with 40 other breast cancer gals(Amazon Heart Thunder) from Brisbane to Sydney 2009. Something I would never have contemplated before!

I also agree to stick with the people who can support you.... the ones who do not just pop aside for now, focus on getting through this and enjoy the things in life that make you  & Mo happy. Take Care Jo

• Jo.L.
    Jo.L. Member Posts: 89
    edited March 2015

Hi as Tanya said be informed and be empowered. Explore all your options and see what treatment is best for your particular type of cancer. As we know there are many different breast cancers, which is why they 'tailor make' our treatment. I too shaved my head after the first chemo round as I could only do my "Your having a bad hair day' party tricks a couple of times. That was when someone at work complained I pulled a hunk out from the back and waved it at them :) .The thought of treatment can be a bit overwhelming still I had a young family (2002) and I decided that I wanted treatment with the lot to give me the best possible outcome. My kids are now 16,19 & 20 and  I am very happy to see them grow into awesomw adolescents. There is a younger womans group online maybe send those gals a message. I was younger but pleased to say I am older now and still standing.

One of the things I have done post treatment is ridden a Harley with 40 other breast cancer gals(Amazon Heart Thunder) from Brisbane to Sydney 2009. Something I would never have contemplated before!

I also agree to stick with the people who can support you.... the ones who do not just pop aside for now, focus on getting through this and enjoy the things in life that make you  & Mo happy. Take Care Jo

• -Samantha-
    -Samantha- Member Posts: 61
    edited March 2015

I can only echo the sentiments of the girls above!

You are definitely not alone. When I was diagnosed nearly 3 years ago, I wasnt the type of person to go to a support group so I googled my bum off and found having online support can be just as good, mostly even BETTER (you can always just click off if you've had enough and you dont need to get out of your trackies if you dont want to!) than going out to a face to face meeting.

I've found the best girls online over the last couple of years and its just nice to know that there's other girls out there that know JUST HOW YOU FEEL! You can ask us anything you want or just vent away!

There IS people here that will read your blog and know just what you're going thru! Do what you feel is right by you, get good professional advice from your doctors and ask lots of questions.

You sound like you have alot to live for!

Sam x