Back on the bandwagon

Options
Artferret
Artferret Member Posts: 259
edited August 2019 in Day to day
Well today is my last day of freedom from letrozole as i go back on it from tomorrow after my 2 month holiday.  For those who are contemplating a break from whichever drug and feel comfortable doing it (i am in the low risk category) i recommend it. 
Don't expect miracles after one week off cos they won't happen that quick. Depending on the level of discomfort you are feeling will depend on how long the effects take to ease. For me after a week my hip joints eased but my hands took a month (hence why i wanted 2 months off). My hands will always be an issue due to arthritis setting in (hereditary) but i can manage that through trial and error.
Also pick the worst time of year, aches and pains wise, to take a break. For me it's winter though summer can be almost as bad if it's a hot one.
Keep a diary to track when which part of your body eased and also to track your moods funnily enough. I'm not a moody hormonal type but the last two weeks have been awful to the point of depression. I just about snapped my husband's head off over something so tiny but then he snapped back which was unusual for him but when we had a chance to talk it through i found out he'd been worrying about his ED and nothing seemed to be working the way he wanted it to. Add my funny mood to the mix and hey presto...two very snappy, crabby people. That at least has all settled down and as he said i was probably worried about going back on the drug. My onco did give me the option to try tamoxifen but after she said the main side effect was flushes i said no thanks. Most of mine when i did have them came at night which wrecked my sleep. So back to the devil i know. And yes i am allowed to have a 2 month break each year, thank goodness...
So, if you're contemplating a break it's well worth it. Being able to stretch, bend, squat and not feel like an 80 yo granny has been marvellous and shows that for me there is light at the end of the letrozole tunnel.
3 years 3 months to go...

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Tamoxifen is not that bad!  You must be pleased with the 3 years 3 months - is that 5 or 10 years all up?  Mine is to be for 10 years.  Letrozole was for 6 months but the bone pain was unbearable and I have changed to Aromasin, which is steroid based (yuk!) however it is working so that is what I have to focus on!  I did do in excess of 2 years on tamoxifen but my side effect was gynae related - no hot flushes et cetera

Wishing you all the best!   Hopefully you can manage the arthritis and the odd side effect is all you have to contend with and counting down to your next break

Take care

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Excellent summary Cath. I hope you have an easing of some of your side effects like I did after a break. Fingers crossed. K xox
  • Artferret
    Options
    Thanks @iserbrown. I have 5 years on this drug. Sleep is a precious commodity for me as i don't function very well emotionally without a decent sleep plus i said goodbye to flushes a while ago...really don't want to say hello to them again!
    And yes Kate i hope some of the side effects aren't as bitey as they were. Fingers crossed...although that's not easy anymore 😂
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @Artferret
    If I remember correctly you got a lot of benefit out of the Ex-med program - hopefully that is something you have been able to continue with and helps you through

I am re-visiting with the Exercise Physiologist from Ex-Med - I have my paperwork from GP, which apparently is valid for 12 months.  I just have a couple of other issues to sort first

Take care and hopefully you are at a stage where hot flushes are behind you

• Artferret
    Options
    Thanjs @iserbrown. I am still at the gym 3-4 times a week and loving it unlike my sister who goes to the gym cos she knows it's good for her, doesn't really enjoy it but enjoys the level of fitness her body has gained through it. I revisited my ex phys 12 months after the program just to make sure i was on track with the program i had developed. It was well worth it.