Webcast tonight Thursday 6 June 2019 - Hormone blocking therapy - is it worth it?

Options
2»

Comments

• jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @kmakm, Thank you. I am visiting my father at the moment; and will look forward to listening next week.
    Best wishes from jennyss in Western NSW
  • youngdogmum
    youngdogmum Member Posts: 250
    Options
    I woke last night in an actual pool of sweat. I’ve had a few moments of “night sweats” but find it funny that this was the first time it was so bad after watching the presentation, where the BCNA rep said “needing to change the sheets” 😂😂  I didn’t go to that much trouble! 

Good informative session; helpful points I took away for myself 

- Having a blood test to confirm I am in menopause with zoladex before I commence an AI and then having those monitored 

- The rapid loss of bone density in younger women in menopause. This has sparked me to question oncology if I should just go on a biphosponate preventatively and definately to insist on bone density scan PRE hormone therapy 

Disappointments:
    - the answer to the pregnancy question. Understandably he couldn’t provide a thorough generic answer in such a short time frame. 
    However, I find it so contrasting to be told it’s so important to take hormone therapy to reduce exposure to oestrogen, yet to then be told it seems “safe” to have a pregnancy where the level of oestrogen surges to the highest it’s ever been. Such conflicting words of advice, I’m sure none of us younger ladies without children will ever be given clear cut information 😞

Well done @kmakm
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    @youngdogmum do some research on bisphosphonates.You need to be very careful with your teeth once you start taking them as serious dental like extractions and root canals run the risk of osteonecrosis of the jaw and many dentists may be unwilling to treat you .Bisphosphonates stay indefinitely in the system even after you cease taking them ie a lifetime risk.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @youngdogmum Thank you.

It seems the first two years are the most important to be on hormone blocking therapy in regards to a waiting period before having a baby. It's such an important and in depth, lengthy discussion. I hope you've got a good team that you're comfortable discussing this with.

When I wake soaking with a night sweat I towel dry and then sleep on a towel and change the sheets in the morning. I'm too desperate to get back to sleep! K xox
  • kmakm
    edited June 2019
    Options
  • youngdogmum
    youngdogmum Member Posts: 250
    Options
    @kmakm I’ll try the towel thing thank you!

Yes, I understand from their perspective they don’t want to prohibit women having children if that’s important to them. On the flip side, if they say there’s no risk and a patient does have a recurrence post pregnancy, I understand they may have fears of blame/litigation etc
    Tricky path to navigate and so unsure where my feelings lie.

My Oncologist has said a minimum 2 years but preferably longer before taking a break, I initially thought it would be a simple come off and try in 3 months time but he said 6 months off then try.. which could potentially turn the amount of time off hormone therapy into a couple of years if one doesn’t fall pregnant straight away...

Of course I’ll update you all if/when we decide to pursue a pregnancy!

• kmakm
    Options
    @youngdogmum We will be delighted whichever path you choose. Being contentedly alive is what we're all striving for. You are so young, with such a lot of life in front of you. Onwards and upwards! K xox