Young mum going thru treatment

Options
2»

Comments

• kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Hi @Pinkcloverss,

Welcome to the rollercoaster lovely.  I had the same chemo as you, it's one of the standard cocktails of choice.  I am a bit older and no toddlers but I had 5 teenagers at home at the time and sometimes well, they kind of act like toddlers :)

I went back to work (part time) 5 days after my 2nd AC.  You get into a bit of a routine after the first one.  Mine was day 1 written off, they say exercise straight after it, I tried that once, it wasn't doable for me. Day 2 and 3 were pretty good with the steroids buzz. I had huge amounts of energy and got heaps done, day 4 was crash day and then back to good again till the next one.  I found the AC acumulative.  The 4th one took longer to recover.

Taxol I found quite easy compared to AC. I drove myself there and back and it really wasn't too much of an issue.

I had next to no fatigue the whole way, worked, ran my farm, did most of my usual stuff, kept my hair with the cold cap organized a lot of social events at the time and had a great time at all of them.
    I work in a public hospital, did not take the injection to boost your immune system and never caught any bugs or got sick.

It's all quite variable person to person but after the first one you'll have an idea of how you'll feel.
    Some days were crap but there was a lot that weren't.

All the best.

xoxoxoxo

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Options
    @JoeyLiz - you didn't have this combination,  but you had a toddler. Hope you're doing ok 

I had a different cocktail of drugs. My worst days were usually 3-10. I'm older, so no toddlers. Worked most of the way through, with the odd sick day, in a busy medical practice
  • Pinkcloverss
    Pinkcloverss Member Posts: 48
    Options
    @kezmusc thanku for sharing! I love hearing positive stories related to cancer and chemo- gives me so much hope and positivity. Ill def have to play it by ear and see. 
  • lgray3911
    lgray3911 Member Posts: 207
    Options
    Hi @Pinkcloverss me again! I was 37 when I was diagnosed and had a 4 1/2year old and a 1 1/2 year old. I’m a teacher too. I worked 2 days a week during treatment. I did chemo on Tuesdays rest day Wednesday and worked Thursday Friday. I tried to keep routines as normal as possible. Take offers of help whether that is dinners being made or kids being looked after etc... A local support group sent in a cleaner once a week which was magic! It’s doable if you take care of yourself! You need to be the priority during treatment if possible! Good luck xxx
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Offers of meals, playdates and cleaning are the best.  I wasn't able to work during my AC-T treatment but many can.  Being in education, you may want to check out your Super scheme for income protection or trauma insurance, as if things aren't tolerable, it's good to know what is available.  Whichever path you take, just remember not to try to do everything.  Take away pizzas are there for a reason and you're just building up your kids immune systems if the house isn't clean.  Keep your energy for important things.
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @Pinkcloverss and @youngdogmum,

from jennyss in Western NSW