Blessed breast!

Options
soooz
soooz Member Posts: 3
edited March 2019 in General discussion
I am sitting here feeling like a breast cancer fraud. No pain, very little fuss, and it looks like no chemo.

Whaaaat? I hear you say, but it's true. I have a blessed breast!

I had a tiny little cancer, 9.6mm. It was HER2 negative, oestrogen positive. So I'll have to have radio therapy, in about 6 weeks, and some hormone therapy. But no chemo.

My journey has been particularly unremarkable. ACT Breastscreen picked up cancer during a regular screening. I went in for further tests including a biopsy. Got the diagnosis the Friday before Christmas and thought "Oh well, it will be what it will be. There's so much advancement with this stuff now that I'm sure it will be OK." Didn't tell anyone, cause... well... you just wouldn't at that time of the year.

Saw the surgeon (personality of a brick) in January and spoke to the breast care nurses (can't say enough about how wonderful they are!). Promptly forgot about it again and went on a cruise. Sailed (pun intended) through the op at the end of Feb - in at 3.30pm, out at 5.30pm and last pain meds at the same time on the ward, and haven't needed any since - home the next day.

Had a bit of a fright with the swelling, but it turns out it's to be expected from removing even two lymph glands. Gosh it must be bad when more get removed!!  A lovely doctor at  Oncology showed me how to massage the fluid back to the remaining lymph glands.

My advice is to just take it one day at a time. Organise what you need - don't worry about what you can't control.

Fingers crossed I don't go bananas with the hormone therapy and undo all of this bragging :smile:

Love to you all, and may your breasts be blessed.  xxx soooz

PS - My daughter suffers from endometriosis, and I can't help but compare breast cancer with endometriosis for education, research, and support. Endometriosis sufferers are really struggling.
Tagged:

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Great news. Keep well! 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    Well done @soooz  - may the remainder of your treatment be just as smooth sailing!!   Well done on getting your cruise in!!   I kept my holiday til after the rads (this time last year.)

take care & all the best for your rads xx

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Always good to hear good news!
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited March 2019
    Options
    What a lovely post @soooz! Well done. K xox
  • tigerbeth
    tigerbeth Member Posts: 539
    Options
    Great @soooz sounds just like my story except my holiday is coming up in May !
    Good luck with the rest of the treatment,hope its easy peasy xxx