Loving my family

Options
Leonie Moore
Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
edited October 2011 in Day to day

Hi to all us Survivors,  I have just spent some lovely days in Brisbane visiting my family.  Whilst I was there I attended a consultation on genetic testing.  I have had the blood test carried out and will have the results in 4 weeks.  My daughters, I feel, are of differing opinions - one has her family and the other is single and unattached.  We will all wait and see what comes of the result.  Not scarey for me but I am sure that there is quite some anxiety for my daughters.  I am hoping and praying that the "buck stops with me" and that my bc diagnosis was "just one of those things".  Ufortunately I have already passed on Coelic disease, Factor XI deficiency to both of my daughters and with one of them also inheriting Thyroid disease (Hisimota Thyroiditis).  I do like to think that I have given them some "good stuff" as well.  They are both very intelligent, confident young women who also "look very beautiful".  I might be a little biased.  (Nothing from their father though - big b...........(first husband) )  Now that's another story!!!!   I think we could all write a book.  I actually have thought of it many times - just too tired at the moment.  XLeonie

Comments

• Maxene_36
    Maxene_36 Member Posts: 41
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Leonie, glad you had a good break here in Brisvagas!  I read with interest your comments on the genetic testing.  I am about to have it as well.  I am the 6th generation in my family to have been diagnosed with BC.  Had an axillary clearance and masectomy of my left breast on 4 October, and am about to start treatment.  All of my other family members had at least one breast removed. 

My mum had a double M when she was my age.  She was devastated when I was diagnosed, she thought it was all her fault that she had passed it on to me.  That's simply not true!  Its just an unfortunate genetic thing. 

Being a mum myself, I understand why she thinks this way, but I say to her, then whose fault was it that she got cancer?  She has, like you have for your daughters, passed many other favourable things on to me, inlcuding her strength!  And, I know that she completely understands what I am going through and shares it with me (the silver lining??).

At the very least, having the background that I have, I am well informed and ready for it. 

I pray for you and your daughters Leonie, best of luck with the testing,

Maxene xx      

• Smiley_30
    Smiley_30 Member Posts: 83
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Leonie, how are you?
    I love your new pic...It's a absolutely gorgeous photo and u look stunning!!!
    Your daughters are incredibly lucky to have u as their mother...the good will always outweigh the bad..
    Take care
    Xxx
  • Smiley_30
    Smiley_30 Member Posts: 83
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Leonie, how are you?
    I love your new pic...It's a absolutely gorgeous photo and u look stunning!!!
    Your daughters are incredibly lucky to have u as their mother...the good will always outweigh the bad..
    Take care
    Xxx
  • Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am okay.  I actually look pretty well BUT I am in so much pain.  Now today I have had an ultrsound and my good shoulder is stuffed.  I have pulled the tendon and it is hanging by a thread - no wonder I toss and turn all night.  Looks like it has been slowly going for a while.  I have been favouring my bc arm and now have buggered the right one.  Dragonboating is off my list of good things now until it heals or I have it mended surgically.  Damn, damn - I will never get fit because my legs don't seem to want to work either!!!!!  Still have very sore hands and feet as well.   How are you - I think being older lets the chemo get into all the vunerable bits and leaves us aching.............before our time.  My poor old body feels like it is 85.   I will let you know my genetic results.  Personally I just think I was unlucky and I feel that I don't have the mutent gene/s. XLeonie

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

You and your girls are gorgeous!So sorry to hear about your shoulder and other aches and pains.Just when you were enjoying your paddling life has to take that pleasure away.Getting old just sucks!! I don't know what else to say but that I'm thinking of you.

luv Tonya xx