Just a little whinge session

Options
jo1234
jo1234 Member Posts: 291
edited October 2011 in Day to day

Two or three weeks ago i was so excited about the prospect of finally beginning Rads treatment and being able to get on with my life. 

I went and had the mapping, CT scan etc done which was ok (mind you the tattoo in the middle of the chest killed) , i had appointment  with the oncologist nurse again about what to expect etc.   I was then given  the appointment to begin. 

Well !  They are so booked out at Two of the three places in Perth that do radiation due to a machine breaking down,  that i still cant get in until 10 November.  I am so angry. I  am so sick of waiting. Does this happen everywhere or is it just "Me"? Is something written across my forehead?

Sorry !   I'm such a whinger. i just want it over with before it comes back.  Cheers Jo

Comments

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'd be peeved.I think you are supposed to start radiation within about 6-8wks after your lumpectomy.I could be wrong but I know when I had radiation it was about 6wks post surgery.You have to do all that psyching up and then you get let down-so sorry for you.

Tonya xx

• jo1234
    edited March 2015
    Options

Tonya, The oncologist and the breast surgeon told  me 7 weeks wait post surgery  and that wait was due to so many people needing it.  I  dont know what more i can do, as i have phoned them again and have been put on a cancellation list (as if anyone is going to cancel after waiting that long)  I am going to do some more ringing around. Might help. So frustrating

cheers Jo

• joleeh5
    joleeh5 Member Posts: 88
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jo

I hear you I was told that I would have to wait and then investigated other hospitals as like you didnt want to wait and wanted to get on with life. You could try your local member or the health ministers office. I rang the health ministers office (Jillian Skinner) as I was so upset that people were waiting so long. I have found Jillian Skinner to be very helpful in the past when I had issues with my mother in hospital. I was lucky and could have got treatment at another hospital but you would think that cancer treatment would be a top priority but nooooooo lets put the money into some useless school halls or insulation for houses...it makes me so mad.

Good Luck

Cheers

Jo

Good 

• TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options

They should get their priorities right.I think I was going to have to wait about 13weeks for the public hospital Westmead (2003).So I went private and got in straight away and was about $1,000 out of pocket.I went to the San and got terrific treatment.But not everyone can cough up a grand so they shouldn't be made to wait so long and jeopardize their health.Yes,write to anyone who might take up your case -the squeaky wheel gets the oil!

Tonya xx

• jo1234
    edited March 2015
    Options

It will be 3 months one week post opp that i have to wait for treatment.

i am over this, I am losing it big time. I feel like i have been shoved down the back corner and forgotten about. I have phoned the cancer foundation of WA , she said it depends on how bad the cancer is/was as to when you get treatment. ???? , and that radiation is only a precautionary treatment so not to worry as i had already had  a lumpectomy so it wont come back. ?????? She said  7-9 weeks wait is normal  (she is useless) (mine is post op 13 weeks)

I then phoned the Breast Clinic, spoke to breast nurse. She  cant comment but thinks it is too long, should be around 7 weeks, but can only help by telling Breast surgeons at meeting next week about the wait (fat good that will do) asked to put complaint in at  liaison  officer at hospital.

From that i have phoned  the only remaining radio oncology department  in Perth and  asked if i was transfered  how long,  Was told  about 7 weeks. Its not worth it. Thats my start date anyway.

I asked if i was private how long,  answer was next week  and i would have to get a loan to cover the out of pocket expenses.............It is a joke.

This is really eating at me and i sorry but i needed to get this out now before i totally spat it.

• jo1234
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jo, thanks for replying. This is really getting to me. i totally agree with you though in where they put the money is just so useless.  It's crazy and their priorities are so wrong.

• TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options

I think it's too long to wait Jo.Check out the private place cos they may do discounts or let you pay in installments.Maybe the health depart.might cover the difference in cost if you kick up enough fuss.Don't let them put you in the corner-it's your life they are mucking around with.

Tonya xx

• TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options

I think it's too long to wait Jo.Check out the private place cos they may do discounts or let you pay in installments.Maybe the health depart.might cover the difference in cost if you kick up enough fuss.Don't let them put you in the corner-it's your life they are mucking around with.

Tonya xx

• joleeh5
    edited March 2015
    Options

I agree with Tonya...I was operated in a private hospital and approached them regarding costs for the Radio Therapy and they said they would put it under Medicare for me. 

And as for the lady that said it wont come back ask her if you have that in writing!!!! I bet the answer will be No!! and how would she like it!!

Good luck..and let us know how you go.

Jo xox

• joleeh5
    edited March 2015
    Options

I agree with Tonya...I was operated in a private hospital and approached them regarding costs for the Radio Therapy and they said they would put it under Medicare for me. 

And as for the lady that said it wont come back ask her if you have that in writing!!!! I bet the answer will be No!! and how would she like it!!

Good luck..and let us know how you go.

Jo xox

• jo1234
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Jo and Tonya,

(Boy i get worked up, but i am ok now) I have just finished taking out my frustration on an email to WA Health Minister Dr Kim Hames.  He has coped it good and proper from a mad woman with menopausal symptoms.  haha.  (not really) I cant afford private while im not working. I quit work to have my knees replaced in March and was meant to go back to work by July. Thats when they found the cancer. Say no more.  The gap at the private place  is  about $1750  after Medicare they said.  I will see what comes of the email i sent. He might pay it for me. ........Yeah right!!! ....as if.  Thanks for listening to me go on, I will let you know how i go.   Cheers Jo xx

• jo1234
    edited March 2015
    Options

GOOD NEWS! Amazing, what happens when you speak-up  to the health minister. My radiation now begins Monday 24th October.

cheers Jo

• TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options

You'll be done and dusted before Christmas.It was  wrong to make you wait so long.I've learnt from you and Celeste this week that we have to be more assertive and demanding when it comes to our health.Good luck for Monday- you'll do just fine.Your first zap is scary when they all run out of the room and you feel like you are on the set of a star wars movie.

Tonya xx