Reconstruction surgery

Options
2»

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    My experience is similar to @socoda's. It's more about mental health.
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Options
    In 2004, I  had a latissimus dorsi free flap reconstruction with implants, because with only one breast and being only 49, I  felt like a freak. It was an 8 3/4 hour operation because there were three procedures involved. Now, in 2018, I  am  so pleased that I had a reconstruction. It  Is the one big positive to come out of my whole breast cancer experience. 

Before cancer, I  had comments like: why do you need a prosthesis and when I  was in my twenties: do you want a training bra?
  • Patti J
    Options
    Oops. That should have been after my mastectomy I  was asked if I really needed a prosthesis. My breast surgeon was not impressed by that comment.
  • Chelley59
    Chelley59 Member Posts: 55
    Options
    I have only just been diagnosed in late august....im scheduled for a wide excision on the 23rd of oct and node pathology. so everything to me is up in the air at the moment...ive been through most of reconstruction options and will hopefully have bilateral mastectomy with tram flap procedure...may not look the best (i dont care). But I just need that closure...and that is what it means to me. I have had many comments from people that do not have cancer....its upsetting to think that they can say something like "if it were me i would have a mastectomy and no reconstruction" walk in out shoes then tell me what you would do....its a personal journey with decisions not taken lightely.
  • kmakm
    edited September 2018
    Options
    @Chelley59 Gawd yes the unwanted comments from people who've never had cancer are an absolute doozy. They are usually well meant but completely thoughtless. Do your best to block them out. They have no idea.

There's a few threads here about the stupid & silly things people say. Quite funny reading. I can't remember what the most recent one is called, but do a search on 'silly' and 'stupid things people say' and have a giggle. Best antidote for insensitive clods! K xox
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    Options
    @Chelley59
    There are some howlers in the thread "Did You Really Say That....." in the Day To Day section.

Have a read. The comments will give you ammunition. But remember you can't cure stupidity. 

The number of women from my community who said to me to chop both off as in their words "you don't need them anymore"!!!!!!  was unbelievable.

The only people I listened to was my medical team.

Warmest Kimberley wishes to you 
    Annie
  • kmakm
    Options
    That was it! Thanks @Annie C. Couldn't remember it for the life of me...
  • Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,195
    Options
    Hi @Diannes48, it's great that there's starting to be more information and education out there on reconstruction, it was hard to come by when I had mine back in 2014, which is why the Choosing Breast Reconstruction group was so helpful to me. Just checking that you've also had a look at the Reclaim Your Curves website and resource materials? The materials were written for consumers by women who had been through reconstruction (with oversight by surgeons to ensure accuracy) and covers a lot of what many women want to know as they make their decisions around reconstruction. 

Totally agree about the opinions and judgements thing, it is a very personal choice to reconstruct your breasts and can be a long and challenging process, so definitely not a "free boob job" or "vanity". 

Also, one of the things that comes up often in the reconstruction groups is the questions around what's covered by medicare and private health insurance and what you need to consider with both.

Good luck with the project. Jane xx
  • Patti J
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Just after my second nipple reconstruction in 2015, a good friend gave me a book called "Bare Reality": www.barereality.net. The author and photographer's  aim was to raise money for Breast Cancer UK. Many of the photos and stories are confronting.