Power Port Removal prior too Radiation

Options
Ninja
Ninja Member Posts: 21
Hi Ladies, so I have my last round of chemo on the 6th October and have too get my power port removed prior too radiation as they put it on the wrong side, even told the theater nurse prior too surgery that it needs too go on the left hand side and she wouldn't listen as had two lymph-nodes that had cancer , apart from the breast cancer and told her I had too have radiation after chemo.

My Oncologist told me too contact the surgeon who put the power port it, too arrange removal of the port, so rang his receptionist  today and told her what date my last radiation is and I am booked in three days after chemo too get port taken out. Has anyone else had their's removed so soon after chemo ?

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I didn't as on herceptin but once chemo is done you don't need it. Removal is much simpler than insertion and 3 days after is good as it's before the lowest dip after chemo. You probably should just check with oncology team if that's too close and if the next available time ...like 2 weeks later might be better. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I'm not sure from reading this if your port is on the same side as the radiation.  If it is, and you have already had your rad planning appointment, you may want to find out if the port Removal will affect it.  I know of one woman who's rads were delayed because of this.  Otherwise, I don't think it matters. @JoeyLiz may be able to give advice.
  • JoeyLiz
    JoeyLiz Member Posts: 339
    Options
    I had mine removed during my surgery.
    If the port is on the affected side then it needs to be taken out prior to your radiation planning scan (and also healed) as it will effect body contour etc
  • Ninja
    Ninja Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Port was put in on the side of my cancer after I had my tumour and lympnodes removed and chemo nurse's found out I had densed veins and had too get a port put in within a week.
    So my main question has anyone else had it removed basically straight after they had their last Chemo .
    My breast surgeon is furious that they put it on the same side as my cancer and so is my Oncologist Radiologist
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Hi there @Ninja. I had triple neg bc no lymph nodes and mastectomy so I didn’t have to have rads and I had my port removed about a month after I finished chemo it was awesome. I had it in on the right side and it was my left side that was affected.  Margie x