Breast Cancer, Childlessness and Us

Options
Janet A
Janet A Member Posts: 281
This group has been formed to support the childless men and women by choice or by circumstance during treatment or after treatment.
As childless women, we are 1 in 8 women and incredibly, 1 in 8 women overall that will be diagnosed with breast cancer. 38% of the world's population happens to be childless.
Statistics aside, I wanted to form this group because of my own personal circumstance of going through treatment without the support of family and living in a fairly remote rural location in Central Queensland. Whilst I am a strong person it has been a sometimes tough road. Perhaps there are others out there in the same position as I am.
All are welcome to join!  Thank you, Janet
Tagged:

Comments

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,830
    Options
    Hi there @Janet A
    Thanks for starting the group - hope you get many ladies to join as being childless can be a challenge as we age.  All the things myself and my partner did for our parents won't be happening for us.  To make matter worse we have no siblings to call on.
    Whether ladies are childless because they simply had no strong feeling to have the rug-rats around or, like me, found it was not a possibility (and I was a kindergarten teacher) we are all without that close support.
    I have joined and would encourage other childless ladies to join so we can get conversations going, provide specific coping strategies and generally support each other in times of need
    Congratulations Janet.
    Summer 
  • BlackWidow
    BlackWidow Member Posts: 268
    Options
    Hi Janet.  Yes, I will join and hope we get some others as well.  Anne
  • Janet A
    Options
    Thank you both for commenting. A friend of mine also childless mentioned how we won't have that support as we age, to be honest it isn't something I really think about. Being childless also makes us more resilient. After I finished IVF and got my three free psychologist sessions, it was pointed out that because we are childless we are more likely to occupy ourselves than some that rely on family for support. Any thoughts on this?
    It is also a fact that because men and women have families it doesn't automatically equate to assistance in our older age. I see a lot of lonely people in nursing homes. I feel quite confident going into older age that things will go alright....
  • Stork
    Stork Member Posts: 121
    Options
    Hi Janet I would love to join how do you join the group?
    I am single woman with no children 
    Stork
  • Janet A
    Options
    @Stork I will send you an invite!

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Options
    Hi, Janet, as has been said above, thanks for forming this group, which I too, would like to join. 
    We have all come to this with our own unique set of circumstances. It will be good to have support from others who understand this side of it all
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,580
    Options
    Me Too!  ;)   I'll be in it @Janet A

We will have some decision making as we age (that I need to look into NOW) ..... so we'll be able to give each other tips along the way, too  ;) 

Should we link this thread to the original one you put up?
  • Clouise
    Clouise Member Posts: 25
    Options
    I would also like to join, I’m 41 and childless, would be great to be in touch with people in a similar situation ....I can’t see a link to the group, how do I join? 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,580
    Options
    Here is the link to the original post - there was such terrific information & sharing in it - I think it would be wasted if not included in the 'new' group

https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/18332/are-you-a-breast-cancer-survivor-who-happens-to-be-childless/p1
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Janet A
    Options
    I will send you a invitation Clouise and thanks Joannie x 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @Janet A I would like to join too please  :)