iPrevent survey

Options
Patti J
Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
I just completed this survey. What a load of bollocks!

Comments

• Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Options
    It is like using a crystal ball.
  • Harlee
    Harlee Member Posts: 106
    Options
    Actually I thought it was quite interesting. I input my daughters stats as I was wondering what my diagnosis and my brother's recent prostate cancer diagnosis meant for her future risks. 

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Harlee Will you pass on to them what you found out?
  • Harlee
    Harlee Member Posts: 106
    Options
    Absolutely! We've already discussed it. We also plan to give it to our GP so that it will be part of her medical records. 
    I remember when I was first diagnosed and I was asked thousands of questions about my family history and I could barely even remember my own name and DOB - let alone how old my aunt was when she was diagnosed with breast cancer or what type she had or when her recurrence was! 
    I know that some people possibly wouldn't want to know if they had an increased risk but she's about to graduate as a Paramedic so she understands medical statistics and was interested to know as well. Realistically she is still unlikely to have BC as her risk (while higher than normal) is still relatively low. She was actually relieved to see how low it was because with a great aunt, mother and uncle all being treated for cancer it seems like it is everywhere. 
  • Artferret
    Artferret Member Posts: 259
    Options
    I did the same for our younger daughter (she and her sister are much the same) since my husband had prostate cancer at the same time. She's 22 and her risk was 0.2% and her future risks weren't much more and at this stage can't see the point of telling her. I've told both of them that mammograms will have to start at 40yo. It's just another tool that you can use to open up a dialog with your GP if you have concerns; that's the way I look at it.