5-2 Diet

Options
Stork
Stork Member Posts: 121
Hi I was diagnosed with breast cancer in June 2017 it was a major shock as the time my way of coping was to emotional eat especially chocolate, 11 months later I am now 20-25 Kilos overweight, in a May I had a epiphany and released I needed professional help
I have seen an exercise physiologist I am now doing 2 group classes and I walk 5 to 6 days a week
I also saw a dietitian she recommended 
Drink Green tea, eat walnuts
go on a 5 to 2 diet  I have done some research there are pros and con in the 5 
2 diet Dr M Mosley recommended the diet and has written books 
Has anybody done the 5 - 2 diet?
It is going to be a hard slog but worthwhile at the end of my journey 

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I was doing it for awhile about 18 months ago before BC diagnosis. I found it difficult because I was trying to manage family meals, too and I didn't see a big weight loss (but I can't say that I was great on the 5 part).  One of my work colleagues finds it a great way to lose weight.
  • Kattykit
    Kattykit Member Posts: 252
    Options
    My son and his wife follow this and they both look amazing, they also have 3 kids and manage family meals by eating later in the morning so the family can eat dinner together.
  • poodlejules
    poodlejules Member Posts: 393
    Options
    I tried it pre cancer as I was going overseas and wanted to lose a little. I lost 4 kgs over 6 weeks , which was about what I wanted. You do get hungry on the fast days but I used to do on the days I worked, spread it over 3 meals (some people use it up in 1 meal sitting)  fill up with herbal teas and go to bed early! Don't do it 2 days in a row and DON'T make up for it on the other days,still eat sensibly.There are a heap of suggestions on Dr Google on how to make up the 500 calories, (obviously not cakes , chocolates etc :D ) you'd be surprised! Good luck with it all and keep your eye on the prize x
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I tried it but like @Sister found it difficult to do while also cooking for a family.

I have since taken on board the further research about fasting, some of which was done by Mosely himself, and now take care to have a proper 12 - 14 hour fast overnight. Which means no snacks after dinner! Sometimes it's harder than others but I find doing my teeth helps. Sends a pavlovian signal that there's no more food arriving anytime soon! It's been one of the tools I've used to lose 24kgs.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on. K xox

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35290671
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    hi Stork 
    I am on the 8 week bsd under GP guidance.... I find that is very manageable as it is 800 calories per day. 
    I have lost over 10kgs now in 3 months I dont get to exercise as much as I should but ... otherwise I would of lost more. 

• Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    Welll done @Stork
  • kmakm
    Options
    Fantastic Stork! Well done. I'm 200g away from losing 25kg. Then to work on the next 5kg. I see a dietician too, really helpful.

Keep going! You've got this!
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    Congratulations Stork keep going :D 

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,830
    Options
    Congratulations @Stork and @SoldierCrab
    What an achievement for both of you.
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    What a great effort @Stork, @SoldierCrab and @kmakm
    I started doing the 5:2 diet a week ago.   I only need to lose 4kg to be at my pre-breast cancer weight and as @poodlejules said, there are a lot of options within the 500 cal limit.  I was surprised and haven't really been that hungry.   For me the trick is keeping busy between meals so I don't snack.  I love hearing your good news stories :)   Jane
  • kmakm
    Options
    @Hopes_and_Dreams Thank you Jane. I agree with you about keeping busy. Boredom and idleness drives me to the fridge and pantry far too easily!