Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

McGrath Foundation nurses

Options
Patti J
Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
edited April 2018 in Metastatic breast cancer
Has anyone had any luck contacting and talking to a McGrath Foundation nurse specializing in metastatic breast cancer? Apparently there are only 6 dedicated mets nurses in Australia and 119 for breast cancer. 
I did contact one, after being given her phone number by the telephone contact at the McGrath Foundation. She virtually fobbed me off and told me I should contact the McGrath foundation nurses at my local public hospital. I wasn't  impressed. She then apologised and asked me to contact her. Jane McGrath would have been horrified!
Tagged:

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @Patti J 

Oh goodness that is a bit disappointing for you
    Does your Surgeon have their own Breast care nurse?  Mine did
    Or as the person you spoke to suggested the hospital that you have been dealing with

Take care  
  • Patti J
    Options
    It is disappointing. I don't  have a surgeon nor is there a breast care nurse at the hospital I am dealing with. 
    At the time I  needed to  talk to someone. Now, I  just think that I am strong enough not to need them. My oncologist thinks I am too independent. 

• Riki_BCNA
    Riki_BCNA Staff Posts: 323
    Options
    Hi@Patti J I am sorry to hear about your experience and hope that you are able to contact the BCN at the McGrath foundation to pursue support. I also wanted to mention our free telephone support service for women affected by metastatic breast cancer. Please see the link below 

https://www.bcna.org.au/metastatic-breast-cancer/metastatic-breast-cancer-telephone-counselling/
    Please do not hesitate to contact BCNA on 1800 500 258 to speak to a cancer nurse to assist you with local support services.
  • Patti J
    Options
    Thanks Wendy55. I think my experience of breast care nurses and the hospital social worker have put me off talking to anyone other than my GP and oncologist.