Waiting rooms

Options
Zoffiel
Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372

I thought I might share a little trick that I learned years ago concerning doctor's waiting rooms and chemo.The last thing you need when you are totally debilitated and feeling like shit is to sit in a busy waiting room with the television blaring, surrounded by sick people.

An option is to get a car park as close as possible, check in with the receptionist and ask them to give you a call when you are the next patient. Then go and wait in your car.

Most practices will cope with this plan--you might get a snarky cow who doesn't like the idea, but it is a perfectly reasonable request which doesn't inconvenience anyone if you play your part and hot-foot it straight back in when you are called. No-one can prevent the waiting times, we know that, but you can manage things for yourself and cut out some of the stress involved. It's all about you, don't feel bad about pulling the cancer card every once in a while if it is in your best interests. Mxx

Tagged:

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Great to put that out there @Zoffiel. I wouldn't have thought to do it except that my previous GP (the one who's moved to Orange) told me to.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    What a good idea! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be using it for sure.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    Zoffiel for our GP I have appointment and I call 15mins prior to time and ask how GP is going they then tell me oh they are about 30mins behind I ring back in 30mins put on a timer .... they have either caught up or running even more late ... but I am about 10mins from surgery when they say come in I pop in car and off I go .... 
    Our centre also has a quiet room for those with migraines or having chemo etc to stay away from the germs.