Sharing your breast cancer experience with the media

Options
124»

Comments

• Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    @SoldierCrab and @kmakm I guess information imparts better if it is personalised rather just stats or facts without context. I also get that many prefer to retain their privacy rather than be the subject of a media story - tbh to a degree so do I.  There is such a lot on here we discuss that the public do not know and should - there are aspects of this that I had not realised too.The blog is useful for primary research and does highlight current issues uppermost in members minds . Thanks for clarifying.
  • PatsyN
    PatsyN Member Posts: 296
    Options
    I worked in publishing most of my life. What the media wants is a hook. Something that will get them maximum viewers and be slightly sensational. @SoldierCrab had the right idea. Much more interesting to talk about vaginas than metastatic nodes. I hate to say it but you've gotta make breast cancer look attractive somehow or other. To be hip to have it! That would be news. 
    My tongue is planted firmly in my cheek but humour is how I handle all disasters.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I'd be happy to help and can give a rural perspective. Travelling 1000 k round trips to see a breast surgeon and 600k round trip for gated blood pool scan. Iptaas wouldn't cover a flight when my husband couldn't come on one trip and I was incapable of handling that trip on my own.  I had to withdraw against my life insurance as we couldn't even get a carers allowance for my husband or sickness benefits and my son couldn't get  unemployment when he lost his job (and living  300k away)  even though I wasn't working...but they base the  assessment on previous 2 years.
  • Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,195
    Options
    Hi @Romla and @kmakm, this was the discussion thread you were talking about earlier: http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/17376/advice-to-medical-students-your-thoughts/p1

The comments I received from this discussion were fantastic and were presented to 2nd Yr Sydney University Medical Oncology students as part of my talk and gave them a great insight into the positive and negative experiences we often deal with in relation to the medical community.

With regard to this thread; having had a little bit of experience dealing with the media, I would agree that stories need to be packaged and presented to them in a way that works a particular angle (local / tie in with broader current issues etc) and that personal stories and photos are important to grab their attention. Good on everyone who has offered to help with their stories, I'm sure this will be of great assistance to BCNA as part of their ongoing public awareness work. Jane xx
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    @Jane221 am hoping other medical schools can be as enlightened as Sydney. The human dimension to breast cancer and it’s treatment needs to be known as well as the medical aspects. Am glad you gave this talk - Thankyou!
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Thanks @Jane221. I am looking forward to reading that!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Orbost, VictoriaPosts: 0
    Options

primek said:

I'd be happy to help and can give a rural perspective. Travelling 1000 k round trips to see a breast surgeon and 600k round trip for gated blood pool scan. Iptaas wouldn't cover a flight when my husband couldn't come on one trip and I was incapable of handling that trip on my own.  I had to withdraw against my life insurance as we couldn't even get a carers allowance for my husband or sickness benefits and my son couldn't get  unemployment when he lost his job (and living  300k away)  even though I wasn't working...but they base the  assessment on previous 2 years.

That's right PrimeK ......the further away we live, the more challenging it can be. If we continue to make these things public and increase awareness, create conversation and represent our communities, also lobbying our politicians hopefully, something might be done to improve the current situation. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Orbost, VictoriaPosts: 0
    Options

Jane221 said:

Hi @Romla and @kmakm, this was the discussion thread you were talking about earlier: http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/17376/advice-to-medical-students-your-thoughts/p1

The comments I received from this discussion were fantastic and were presented to 2nd Yr Sydney University Medical Oncology students as part of my talk and gave them a great insight into the positive and negative experiences we often deal with in relation to the medical community.

With regard to this thread; having had a little bit of experience dealing with the media, I would agree that stories need to be packaged and presented to them in a way that works a particular angle (local / tie in with broader current issues etc) and that personal stories and photos are important to grab their attention. Good on everyone who has offered to help with their stories, I'm sure this will be of great assistance to BCNA as part of their ongoing public awareness work. Jane xx

Well done Jane, all treating doctors need to be aware of the people they are treating. Even though it's like sticking your neck out there, it causes conversation and increases awareness. Go you happening thing you xx