Pristiq - what do I expect?

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Reporting back @lrb_03. It might help someone asking the same questions as me one day. I started feeling some effect after two weeks. I feel more even. The moods still swing but not as widely. My brain feels less emotionally caged. I feel more normal, less desperate. Does that make sense?
  • Rosie_BCNA
    Rosie_BCNA Member Posts: 217
    Great to hear you are feeling more like yourself @kmakm. Im sure your post will be helpful to anyone wondering about taking antidepressants. Thanks for sharing, Rosie  
  • kmakm
    Thank you @Rosie_BCNA, appreciated.
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    That's really good to hear, @kmakm, bpth because you're feeling a bit better, and because your experience will help others. What you deescribe makes sense to me, and will to anyone who's been where you have.
    Take care
    Lyn
  • kmakm
    @lrb_03 Thank you Lyn, you too.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Great to hear @kmakm!  And more special times to lighten the mood can only help.
  • kmakm
    Thank you @sister. Haven't got any special times on the books at the moment. This limbo is long. I shall have to see what I can organise.
  • Sister
    The limbo reminded me of rollerskating...How are you at that?  Or is the blood pressure still an issue?  If so, maybe a gentle walk (with someone to catch you) in some restful environment.

I've got my appointments sorted out with laser therapy for the cording next week (and apparently it's not a problem to have laser during chemo according to the onc).  I go for a medical assessment to an oncology rehab centre on 17 April (unfortunately after I've done the 4th chemo) who will look at me for exercise programme under exercise physiologist, psychologist and dietitian.  Finally!
  • kmakm
    Ha! No good at rollerskating @sister. I'm taking things very carefully for now, until I'm 100% sure the low bp problem is behind me. I've done three slow gentle walks this week with lots if sitting and resting. My heart works absurdly hard at the smallest of inclines. I live on top of a hill in a hilly area so they're hard to avoid! This is new this cycle of chemo. Thank goodness I'm done. I don't think my body could take much more.

The one stop shop of the oncology rehab centre sounds brilliant. I've put mine together piecemeal. Which is fine, but nice to get them all going together. I think my dietician is fabulous. So useful throughout chemo and really on the ball with cancer stuff. The one thing I'm yet to get to is the exercise physiology & education course. I've been on the waiting list since December. But I think it will be good starting in early June. I'll be five weeks post-op (I think. My surgeons are having difficulties getting their schedules organised...) and itching to go by then I reckon. We're getting there! Slowly but we're getting there.
  • Sister
    This is really where you need to feed into a ready made system, isn't it?  Diagnosed, treatment planned, here is you complimentary treatment regime sorted.
  • kmakm
    @sister That would be ideal.
  • kmakm
    In the spirit of stigma removal and provision of information, I thought I'd report back. After four weeks of taking the 50mg dose I experienced a return of high levels of anxiety. My psychologist said this was common. You get an initial mood raising bump, especially for those who've been experiencing depression/anxiety for some time, but that after four weeks it can fall away. So I saw my GP and having been taking 100mg for four days.

The GP said that increasing the dose can sometimes give you a rise in anxiety until you settle into it. I'm in the run-up to my bi-lateral mastectomy and reconstruction and she does not want to add to my stress so gave me a prescription for Valium (just 2mg). I haven't found the need to take it. My anxiety is not too bad; when it comes it comes in waves and then passes.

After I take the Pristiq I have a feeling of irritation where my oesophagus meets my stomach, like indigestion, which lasts a couple of hours. Must be taken with food.

The psych says 150mg is the usual dose for breast cancer sufferers. I'll see how I go, I don't want to take more than I need.
  • Stork
    Stork Member Posts: 121
    I am on tamaxifon for the next 4 years a friend advise me to take St Johns wort I asked a chemist who advise me it was OK but I have been reading reputable web sites who advise no IT is very confusing to have conflicting advise I will be seeing my GP next week and I will ask him 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    There's a reputable site that has been recommended - @primek can you assist please?