Herceptin

Options
2»

Comments

• Milly Molly
    Milly Molly Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I am Her ++ (hormone -ve) , DCIS grade 3. I've finished radiation and asked the oncologist about Herceptin . He said I didn't need it as my DCIS was small. Does this sound right ? I'm getting confused as I'm reading Herceptin is required for Her 2.  Thank you x
  • RubyRumble
    RubyRumble Member Posts: 39
    Options
    @ShazS I'm public at RPH & have found them extremely professional. I would ask for someone more senior there is no need to take any flack for an intern. I know they have to learn & i was happy to show my post op scars to them. Next time I'm going to charge $5 a pop....I'll be a rich girl.

I had an adverse reaction to  paclitaxel today within the first 4 mins so they had to take me of it, flush saline though the IV and gave me phenergan, then Herceptin (trastuzumab) 1 1/5 hours, all went good.

I doubt I will be have Paclitaxel any time soon,and will continue with Herceptin 3 weekly for 17 weeks which can be administered by injections. I think I was one of the minority for it to not agree with me.

Good luck with your treatment and take care. X

• ShazS
    ShazS Member Posts: 131
    Options
    Hi Ruby, Good idea charge for a look lol
  • ShazS
    Options
    Hi Ruby , glad all worked out for you and take care of you .Shazx
  • ShazS
    Options
    Hi Milly, Just reading your post if you are confused maybe ask your GP for a second opinion so as you understand as I have had same issues it's very daunting and confusing at times. Do you see a Breast Cancer Nurse she should be able to help with and questions also. Good luck hope all works out for you. Shazx
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    @Milly Molly As it's  dcis...they normally don't offer it unless invasive breast cancer. But worthy to just clarify the reason and choices why. Kath x
  • Milly Molly
    Milly Molly Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you ShazS and primek :)  Margins were clear and not invasive , I see the radiation oncologist again next week for a follow up so I'll definitely ask again. x
  • Lynds
    Lynds Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi, 
    I will be having no 16 tomorrow and my last one in 3 weeks.  I had my first ones with my chemo and now I have them by injection.  The injection is great, goes into the muscle of your thigh, takes 5 minutes, does not hurt and then off home or to the shops.  I have not had any side effects apart from aching bones but being 68 could be part of that.   Good luck 
  • jadziatoo
    jadziatoo Member Posts: 38
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Like everyone else I had my first 6 Herceptin with chemo. When I was on Herceptin only I didn't have any side effects except for a runny nose. I finished my last round of Herceptin last month. 
  • Beryl C.
    Beryl C. Member Posts: 270
    Options
    I was diagnosed HER2 Positive in June 2011, radical left masectomy Dec.'11. They inserted an infusor port and Herceptin infusions commenced Aug.'11, this week I will have my 80th treatment. Infusions are every three weeks and I am able to attend the hospital on Saturdays - its quieter and  suits my schedule.  I also take anastrozole daily. I have experienced many side effects and suspect its the anastrozole more than the Herceptin although it is a very strong drug. I have three monthly heart scans and my oncologist recently said that I'll be on Herceptin for as long as my heart tolerates it. Apparently my post-op pathology did not fit any given profile and they made the decision to follow this treatment schedule.
    I think the Herceptin impacts on overall energy levels and my nose runs constantly. I kept on working part time until June this year which I managed by 'pushing through' the fatigue. I also learned to say 'no' and put myself first most of the time and to prioritise. I am forever grateful that BCNA fought to have Herceptin placed on the PBS and that I elected to be a public patient - after six years of CT scans, Heart scans, 80 infusions, oncology appointments, two episodes of surgery, I pay for parking - there have been no other expenses and I am very fortunate to live 20mins from the hospital.