aussie64

Options
Aussie64
Aussie64 Member Posts: 2
edited August 2011 in Day to day

Hi there I'm Maureen and I am 65 yrs old and have been diagnosed with breast cancer, what a blow that was, as I have and still am healthy....I had a masectomy last Wednesday10th August...I was very fortunate all went well and i am staying Cyndi and Chris(daughter & son-in-law). I have an appointment with the surgeon next Wednesday to discuss results of the operation and further treatment....so as you can see I am just starting out on my journey...and I think that is the best way to look at it...if anybody would like to get in touch and talk to me about their experiences i would love to hear from you...so hello I hope to hear from you soon...Maureen

Comments

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Maureen,

Welcome to the BCNA site. Here you will meet lots of lovely ladies  who all know what you are going through. I'm glad your surgery went well, and I hope the waiting for your results won't seem too long. I think the waiting is the worse bit, as it is hard to concentrate on anything else. I will be thinking of you on Wednesday as you catch up with your surgeon. I had a mastectomy 3 days before Christmas last year, after first having a lumpectomy in early December. The small tumour they were after was actually much larger than expected ( 21mm instead of 4mm), and a grade 3. This changed everything. I needed more surgery as well as chemo. I was very lucky, as no nodes were involved, but they removed 10 just to be sure. The chemo was no where near as bad as I thought and, I survived well. My 4 children are all in their 20's, so I was able to take things easy during chemo.

Take care

Chris xx

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Maureen,

Welcome to the BCNA site. Here you will meet lots of lovely ladies  who all know what you are going through. I'm glad your surgery went well, and I hope the waiting for your results won't seem too long. I think the waiting is the worse bit, as it is hard to concentrate on anything else. I will be thinking of you on Wednesday as you catch up with your surgeon. I had a mastectomy 3 days before Christmas last year, after first having a lumpectomy in early December. The small tumour they were after was actually much larger than expected ( 21mm instead of 4mm), and a grade 3. This changed everything. I needed more surgery as well as chemo. I was very lucky, as no nodes were involved, but they removed 10 just to be sure. The chemo was no where near as bad as I thought and, I survived well. My 4 children are all in their 20's, so I was able to take things easy during chemo.

Take care

Chris xx

• pacwood
    pacwood Member Posts: 105
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello and welcome maureen

Thoughts are with you right now. Hope all goes well with the surgeon, it is such a nerve racking time waiting for the results. This whole process is such a waiting game. Wait for results, wait for treatment plan, wait to be free of cancer.

Good luck and will be waiting to see how you go.

xo Christie.

• Aussie64
    Aussie64 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi there Christie

Thanks for your kind thoughts...and yes it is a waiting game...and patients is not one of my attributes...so guess thats  a lesson I will have to learn real quick..it the stress and anxiety involved in the waiting...I am trying to deal with that too....anyway will know more on wednesday what is going on and I will definately keep in touch ...and thanks again for your kind words

Cheers Maureen

• Ann-Marie AK
    Ann-Marie AK Member Posts: 166
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Christie

Being diagnosed with breast cancer was so surreal for me too.  I was fit and healthy and not unwell at all.  I too had a mastectomy and have just completed chemo.  The BCNA site has been a great support to me. You will find many wonderful and supportive ladies here to chat with, whinge to and laugh with.  

Keep smiling

Ann-Marie

• Ann-Marie AK
    Ann-Marie AK Member Posts: 166
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Christie

Being diagnosed with breast cancer was so surreal for me too.  I was fit and healthy and not unwell at all.  I too had a mastectomy and have just completed chemo.  The BCNA site has been a great support to me. You will find many wonderful and supportive ladies here to chat with, whinge to and laugh with.  

Keep smiling

Ann-Marie