Jane

Options
JLC42
JLC42 Member Posts: 3
edited August 2011 in Day to day

Hi All

I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in March 2010, after having a mascetomy I had 6 months of chemo followed by 6 weeks of radition.....I started taking tamoxifin in December 2010 and to be honest the side effects I am not enjoying...like many of you I am having terrible hot flushes - the majority at nighttime, which is making me sleep deprived.  

I did some research and have decided to try acupuncture along with chinese herbal medicine.

Is there anyone who has tried natural therapies ??

My first session is tomorrow, so will keep you updated as to how my flushes are going.

Until then, any advise would be appreciated.

Comments

• annie2
    annie2 Member Posts: 164
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jane, like you i have had the same treatment.But instead of tomoxifin i am taking exemestane which is a trial drug against tamoxifin.

My hot flushes are the same and i get hardly any sleep ive had to resort to sleeping tablets id be very interested to know if the acupunture works.I didnt realise you could have it to treat the hot flushes?

Im also suffering a lot of joint pain especially my knuckles and toes are you having similiar? Anyway keep me posted and good luck with the treatment!

annie

• kay
    kay Member Posts: 73
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hullo Jane,

Before I was diagnosed in 2009, I was using a natural progesterone cream which worked really well, but I'm not sure if I can use it now as mine was hormone receptive.  I'm using starflower oil that the health shop advised for mood swings, but I haven't been on that for long. I'm on Arimadex.

Kay

• JLC42
    JLC42 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Annie

Thanks for replying, its good to know that we are not alone..... I am having my first treatment today, I am not expecting miracles, it might take a few sessions for any effects to take place - I have had acupuncture previous - mainly to help relieve sinus issues - and it does work....

What sleeping tablets do you take and do they help? Do they make you feel drowsy the next day??

I will keep you posted on how my treatment is going.

Jane

• Celbird
    Celbird Member Posts: 680
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jane, I can certainly feel for you...I am also taking Tamoxifen and the hot flushes are a nightmare! they can be severe, very distressing and downright embarrassing. I did a lot of research around how to reduce them, and unfortunately the best remedies appear to be hormone-based, which you cant take if you've had hormone receptive BC! The good news though (for me anyway) is that the hot flushes did reduce in severity and frequency after the first 12 months. I read that this is often the case (the first 12 months is the worst) with Tamoxifen. I still get hot flushes now, in my 2nd year of Tamoxifen, but they are nowhere near the intensity like they were in the first 12 months!! I take daily doses of vitamin e which also helps, however I was told to be a bit careful with some natural herbal remedies that can produce estrogen-like substances in the body which is very risky. I do all the usual 'lifestyle' things that they recommend like dressing in layers so I can strip off if i need to, and i have installed decent airconditioning in my home for the summer now (as the hot weather makes the hot flushes a whole lot worse). I also have fans all through the house! LOL! I too was also taking sleeping tablets (Temazepam) now and then just to get a good night sleep. I found that I had to half the tablets because the next day I felt like I was hit by a truck! I tolerated the lower dose much better. Antihistaminae tablets also make me sleepy so sometimes I'd take them instead when I had hayfever/sinus trouble and they helped me sleep too.

Another thing is that apparently a low dose antidepressant called Effexor, is commonly prescribed to BC patients purely for reducing hot flushes (obvioulsy it can help with low mood too which is an added bonus). (I take a low dose antidepressant called Celexa, and this does the same thing). Here's a statement I found on the web about it:

"Effexor (venlafaxine) can reduce hot flashes by about 50% in nearly 60% of women with breast cancer according to a study done by Dr. Charles Loprinzi at the Mayo Clinic. Improvement happened relatively quickly: 80% of the eventual decrease in hot flashes occurred within the first week of taking the medication. Side effects, when they were noted, were mild. The dose used was 12.5 milligrams taken twice daily."

Maybe this may be something you could ask about....? Anything is worth a try when the quality of your life is so affected by those nasty hot flushes!

Hope this helps Jane! Please let us know how you get on with the acupuncture! Good luck, Celeste x?

• Celbird
    Celbird Member Posts: 680
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jane, I can certainly feel for you...I am also taking Tamoxifen and the hot flushes are a nightmare! they can be severe, very distressing and downright embarrassing. I did a lot of research around how to reduce them, and unfortunately the best remedies appear to be hormone-based, which you cant take if you've had hormone receptive BC! The good news though (for me anyway) is that the hot flushes did reduce in severity and frequency after the first 12 months. I read that this is often the case (the first 12 months is the worst) with Tamoxifen. I still get hot flushes now, in my 2nd year of Tamoxifen, but they are nowhere near the intensity like they were in the first 12 months!! I take daily doses of vitamin e which also helps, however I was told to be a bit careful with some natural herbal remedies that can produce estrogen-like substances in the body which is very risky. I do all the usual 'lifestyle' things that they recommend like dressing in layers so I can strip off if i need to, and i have installed decent airconditioning in my home for the summer now (as the hot weather makes the hot flushes a whole lot worse). I also have fans all through the house! LOL! I too was also taking sleeping tablets (Temazepam) now and then just to get a good night sleep. I found that I had to half the tablets because the next day I felt like I was hit by a truck! I tolerated the lower dose much better. Antihistaminae tablets also make me sleepy so sometimes I'd take them instead when I had hayfever/sinus trouble and they helped me sleep too.

Another thing is that apparently a low dose antidepressant called Effexor, is commonly prescribed to BC patients purely for reducing hot flushes (obvioulsy it can help with low mood too which is an added bonus). (I take a low dose antidepressant called Celexa, and this does the same thing). Here's a statement I found on the web about it:

"Effexor (venlafaxine) can reduce hot flashes by about 50% in nearly 60% of women with breast cancer according to a study done by Dr. Charles Loprinzi at the Mayo Clinic. Improvement happened relatively quickly: 80% of the eventual decrease in hot flashes occurred within the first week of taking the medication. Side effects, when they were noted, were mild. The dose used was 12.5 milligrams taken twice daily."

Maybe this may be something you could ask about....? Anything is worth a try when the quality of your life is so affected by those nasty hot flushes!

Hope this helps Jane! Please let us know how you get on with the acupuncture! Good luck, Celeste x?