Triple positive - HER2 - Newly diagnosed

Options
2»

Comments

• LadyAside
    LadyAside Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome @iserbrown, I received my kit in short order after diagnosis. I couldn't help but compare the resources that were available to me against those that were available to us after my husband's prostate cancer diagnosis late last year. He basically got a handshake, a 'bad luck mate' comment & had to deal with it from there. BCNA is just awesome! I am eternally grateful.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    That's sad isn't it!
    I have a friend who is a retired nurse and she is astounded at the support that is available to us.
    Check out Look Good feel better it's worth doing and then there's an opportunity for a free holiday with the Otis Foundation 

• LadyAside
    LadyAside Member Posts: 6
    Options
    It sure is sad for those diagnosed with other forms of cancer. I have my name down for a Look Good, Feel Better workshop already.
  • Sparkles
    Sparkles Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi @J59 I too was triple +, and had the same decisions to make. I had a lumpectomy - 2 tumours grade 2 & grade 3, 0/2 lymph involvement. Because it was multi focal (2 tumours) chemo was highly recommended as there was no guarantee that there wasn't a rogue cell out there in my body. 
    I had 4 x 3 weekly TC with herceptin. I envy the ladies who sailed through chemo, but I got about every side effect possible. As a result I was also given Neulasta, which managed some of the side effects but added others - large bone pain as the bone marrow was speeding up white cell production. 
    Yesterday I finished 5 weeks of radiotherapy - my breast held up really well with just some pinkness of the skin, some tenderness at the scar, and a couple of itchy spots. 
    Herceptin is ongoing, though I also had the heart complication so am currently having it at 1/3 dose weekly until they have my heart sorted - I am on a beta-blocker & have an appointment with the cardiologist next week.
    i also am in education (though not in a school), and the recommendation was to avoid schools during chemo because of the risk of infection. 
    I went onto income protection and am really glad I did because of the side effects of chemo and the tiredness. I am now 6 months down the track, and while I have another 4 weeks leave, I am starting to think about work again. I will spend the time rebuilding my strength and stamina before starting a return to work program.
    Would I do anything different? No - surgery was a no-brainer I just wanted those suckers out, chemo I viewed as a necessary evil to chase down any rogue cells, rads was another localised necessary evil, herceptin is yet another means to give me the best possible outcome, and the hormone blocker is the same (already post menopause so no side effects from this). 
    I have exercised (mostly walking) as much as possible throughout, and tried to eat well - though not denied myself chocolate when I really wanted it :smiley:
    I have followed many strands on this page, and the support from other ladies going through the same issues is truly amazing - if we have to be on this journey there is no better group of women (and men) to be on it with. 
    make the most informed choices you can, ask questions. It seems like a whirlwind roller coaster, but it is your journey. 
    Good luck with your journey, and know that you have many sisters here for you. Hugs & best wishes 
    Lesley x