Bali here I come

Options
rose360
rose360 Member Posts: 23
edited August 2011 in Day to day

Well after surgery, chemo, radiation and a couple of months of hot flushes and joint and bone aches I am  off to Bali for a holiday on Monday.  Was a last minute decision. My thinking has changed since BC diagnosis-not worried about how much it will cost, not worried about what the house looks like, not worried about chasing the $, don't need the latest fashions. My mother is concerned about tsunamis and bomb blasts while I am in Bali-if my time is up, its up. Life is about living everyday. Maybe all the joint and bone aches will disappear in a tropical climate!!

Comments

• Kerries
    Kerries Member Posts: 49
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Rose

I agree, Im off to Bali on monday too. I'll be there for two wonderful weeks then I start 6 weeks of radiotherapy.

Enjoy the sundshine & the shopping....I know I will.

Take care

Kerrie

• rose360
    edited March 2015
    Options

We will probably cross paths without knowing-flying out Virgin about 11 Monday morning with my friend Andy and his sister and her husband. If you happen to see us say hello-the 2 men are very tall and thin-we are all in our 50s and I am the one with the black and white very short hair!!

Have a great holiday

Wendy

• susieFA
    susieFA Member Posts: 66
    edited March 2015
    Options

A few cocktails for me too please!  I am still not drinking and eating properly but am well enough now to remember the good old days!!!  If you get a chance (and it's still there - I haven't been for a while) Nusa Dua old town has some great cheap restaurants which are very reliable.

Have a wonderful break

susie

• susieFA
    susieFA Member Posts: 66
    edited March 2015
    Options

A few cocktails for me too please!  I am still not drinking and eating properly but am well enough now to remember the good old days!!!  If you get a chance (and it's still there - I haven't been for a while) Nusa Dua old town has some great cheap restaurants which are very reliable.

Have a wonderful break

susie

• pisces_tas
    pisces_tas Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2015
    Options

hi rose,

i went to bali many years ago. decades, actually ! it was in 1976, with a nursing friend and i was 19/ 20. we had time in singapore, bali and penang. i loved the food, culture and friendly people. heard on tv last night a man who said the balinese live in the moment more, and do not worry about future too much, etc.

how did you like the holiday in the tropics?did it help rib pain to lessen?

liked the way you expressed yourself in your blog.

about the bone/ rib aches and pains. i had two lots of radiation from a lumpectomy each side, one in 98 and one in 2003.

just recently, i was getting terrible pain down left arm and across chest, especially on excertion. i was stopping several times when walking, and especially when on an incline, even a small incline.. i thought it was heart, or maybe oesophageal reflux. anyway, heart test was ok.  it did seem to come on over a month or so, then peak, now is receding, somewhat.and maybe it was a post viral thing? not sure, so will keep eye on it. 

i think ageing comes into it too now..LOL i take fish oil etc when i remember, i have slightly elevated cholesterol,  BP is fine. i try and keep weight within limits, strength exercises, walking. i like swimming in the ocean in summer, and may try hydro therapy in winter also as it helps me i think. GP said eat fish 3 times a week, low saturated fat diet, watch salt and sugar, low GI, lots of fibre diet etc.

i am  55. i had lots of aches and pains from surgery, radiation, and tried doing too much after treatment finished i think also. in hindsight i wish i had STOPPED and had time to reassess and adjust to physical, emotional, spiritual changes.

but...we cannot go back, we cannot always control the future. i agree " life is about living every day " . i try and keep things simple these days ( my brain finds it best that way..LOL)

i love the hot, dry heat of the dessert, but went on 3 week road trip to rockhampton and yeppoon in june this year, with a friend. i love to see new places and meet people.

not a lot of funds, but i hope to do some more travels.

i also had some laser across chest, back and arms, which helped settle scars and some aches, and slight swelling, etc.

keep searching for answers to bone/ rib pains.

cheers, kathy.

• rose360
    edited March 2015
    Options

Bali was excellent-by end of 10 days no joint and bone aches and pains in the legs-not sure if the warm weather or the fact that I did no exercise!-Maybe I am pushing it too much.  Sore rib was aggravated by a massage  I had while over there- I should have known better!!