Happy Birthday to me!

Options
Jooleewoolee
Jooleewoolee Member Posts: 24
edited July 2011 in Day to day

It's my birthday & I have breast cancer!

A return call after a routine mammogram revealed more than I would have liked, but better to deal with this sooner rather than later.

OK, so my birthday was yesterday, but it's kind of important to me to be associating the start of this journey with a celebration ~ we're underway & look forward to celebrating milestones along the way!

My surgeon tells me I'll be having a double mastectomy followed by chemo, but the good news is that there's unlikely to be any radiation:)

During the following week I'll be meeting my oncologist (for chemo) & plastic surgeon (for reconstruction, YAY!), having bone scans (to ensure the cancer isn't visiting elsewhere!) and meeting again with my very lovely surgeon to see if we can lock into a date for surgery.

I'll be treating this blog a bit like a travel log; and I welcome you to join me for the journey, despite the lack of family campervan stories :)  I make not apologies that this blog will be both self-indulgent & cathartic, so I won't be offended if you only drop by occasionally!  I'm also aware that I may not be willing or able to update it regularly, but that's the intention anyway!

I'm not entertaining any thoughts other than optimism, and look forward to sharing & maintaining this positivity over the following weeks and months.

Thanks for being here and keeping me company!

Chin up guys, this is a new beginning.

Julesx

Comments

• Jooleewoolee
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Kathy, thanx so much for your message ~ don't be fooled by my optimism tho, I'm still terrified!  My surgeon really was the one who suggested the double mastectomy, and to be honest, I'm looking forward to some new boobs! I think if I was dealing with a double mastectomy without the immediate replacement, it'd be a completely different thing to deal with.  Don't like the idea of surgery, but sounds like it just has to happen!  Not sure where you are on your journey, but would love to add you to contacts if you're interested.  Good luck to you too Kathy, we can all use a little extra positive energy :)  Jules x

• Julia44
    Julia44 Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jules,

INteresting how our doctors have different ideas on reconstruction. my doctor says I need to wait 11/2 years for recon.  Maybe this is to do with radiotherapy?

all the best,

Julia

• Julia44
    Julia44 Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jules,

INteresting how our doctors have different ideas on reconstruction. my doctor says I need to wait 11/2 years for recon.  Maybe this is to do with radiotherapy?

all the best,

Julia

• Jooleewoolee
    edited March 2015
    Options

Apparently i'm not going thru Radiation, Chemo will be enough for me!  Not sure, but is reconstruction not a good idea if Radiation's on the cards?  It's becoming enormously apparent that everyone's experience of BC is incredibly unique!  Hope your journey's getting you where you'd like to be, and that all's well for you. Julesxx

• Jooleewoolee
    edited March 2015
    Options

Apparently i'm not going thru Radiation, Chemo will be enough for me!  Not sure, but is reconstruction not a good idea if Radiation's on the cards?  It's becoming enormously apparent that everyone's experience of BC is incredibly unique!  Hope your journey's getting you where you'd like to be, and that all's well for you. Julesxx

• KateMartin3193
    KateMartin3193 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options

With you all the way lovely lady! xo

• Jooleewoolee
    edited March 2015
    Options

Ahh, thanx so much for your beautiful message, Lizzy!  Really good to hear about your journey, and particularly about your Mastectomy experience.  I really have limited knowledge about what to expect, but terrific for you not to have needed both chemo AND radiation!! Well done :)  I'm a bit intrigued about the "filling" process... and had wondered about nipple options; I guess that's all ahead for me!

Do you mind me asking you about your Reconstruction? Did you have implants or the tram flap thing? (technical knowledge a little lacking!)  Despite the DD-cup, I've never thought that my boobs were much chop (pardon the pun), so imagine my delight at being in possession of a perky pair!!  I'm taking suggestions from girlfriends about what cup size they think I should opt for ~ happy to keep the good humour if I can.  Jx

• LizzyB
    LizzyB Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey again Jules!  I too had no idea about reconstruction. It all happened so quickly after my diagnosis. My mum has had one breast removed and wears a prothesis.   But I too had a pretty poor relationship with my old  boobs. They were enoromous in my teens, gianomous during pregnancy, absolutely useless during breast feeding and then just saggy and ugly. They had let me down, so in truth I wasn't really distraught to see the girls go. lol!!!  My plastic surgeon told me at the inital consult that it is not like a cosmetic boob job.  His job is to make my chest look as 'normal' in clothes as possible.  I had hoped to be a C cup. He informed me it would have been possible to go bigger than before but not smaller (due to excess skin!!!!!) aaahhhh!   I had an expander put behind my chest wall and put a small about of saline in them. When I woke from surgery I wasn't dead flat. Then every couple of weeks I would go back to town and he would put between 60 -90mls in each boob via a port under the surface of the skin.  It is truly bizzare to see them literally grow before your eyes.  And yes I was usually sore for the next day or so, but it is only temporary.  Since my last fill (which was 8 weeks ago) they have gone from being absolutely rock hard to partially spongy.  My biggest complaint would not be able to sleep on my side for the first couple of months post surgery.  They are so perky, I can run and there is no wobble!!! Yay!!  Will find out more about the nipple options at my next consult.  Not keen on skin grafts, reckon tattoos will be the way for me!  Will keep you posted!! Keep your chin up luvy!  xx Liz

• LizzyB
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey again Jules!  I too had no idea about reconstruction. It all happened so quickly after my diagnosis. My mum has had one breast removed and wears a prothesis.   But I too had a pretty poor relationship with my old  boobs. They were enoromous in my teens, gianomous during pregnancy, absolutely useless during breast feeding and then just saggy and ugly. They had let me down, so in truth I wasn't really distraught to see the girls go. lol!!!  My plastic surgeon told me at the inital consult that it is not like a cosmetic boob job.  His job is to make my chest look as 'normal' in clothes as possible.  I had hoped to be a C cup. He informed me it would have been possible to go bigger than before but not smaller (due to excess skin!!!!!) aaahhhh!   I had an expander put behind my chest wall and put a small about of saline in them. When I woke from surgery I wasn't dead flat. Then every couple of weeks I would go back to town and he would put between 60 -90mls in each boob via a port under the surface of the skin.  It is truly bizzare to see them literally grow before your eyes.  And yes I was usually sore for the next day or so, but it is only temporary.  Since my last fill (which was 8 weeks ago) they have gone from being absolutely rock hard to partially spongy.  My biggest complaint would not be able to sleep on my side for the first couple of months post surgery.  They are so perky, I can run and there is no wobble!!! Yay!!  Will find out more about the nipple options at my next consult.  Not keen on skin grafts, reckon tattoos will be the way for me!  Will keep you posted!! Keep your chin up luvy!  xx Liz

• Merrylynn
    Merrylynn Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2015
    Options

Girls - I want this to be like - dare I say It - Facebook. Some of this stuff i'm reading is fantastic and I just want to say I like it. You Jules - are amazing!!!!! Hey that's right as they say in that old Stevie Wonder classic- Happy BirthdayTo ya!!!.

• Jooleewoolee
    edited March 2015
    Options

Awww Merrylynn, shucks. If I could hug you right now, I would!  I was a little concerned that my tone might be a little too jovial, maybe offending some people who might be dealing with their prognosis differently, might be at a different stage... but this is what works for me.  And judging by the responses, i've not been toooo offensive :)  Thanx so much for your feedback, it's really appreciated luv:)

• Jooleewoolee
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Liz, thrilled with your reply ~ thanx so much for all the gorgeous detail!  It's so reassuring to read that you're going thru a very similar place that where I'll be visiting :)  I met my Plastic Surgeon this morning, and I'm probably going for silicone implants, following a very similar path to the one you describe... having a saline filler top-up every 3wks or so until we reach an agreeable cup size.  It's unbelievable what these surgeons can do!   And imagine not having those nasty shoulder indents any more!  Bring on the new boobs, I say:)  I'd been wondering about the sleeping position... no looking forward to being limited to sleeping on my back! (side-cuddling is infinitely more comfy!!)  Anyway, look forward to hearing from you again ~ all the best to you too luv, Jxx

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Jules, just wanted to say 'hi' and welcome.  You look like you have the site pretty well figured out but if you need a hand with anything, just ask.

Don't worry about tone -- however you're feeling is fine here, there's usually someone who'll join in! :)

~Di

• LizzyB
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Jules! I am not sure if I will be having the expanders removed and silicone implants put in or not.  The plastic surgeon said he does leave the expanders in some women.....although I must say the shape is not quite 'real'.  Will find out more next Thursday.  Thankful it is winter as scarfes have been a wardrobe staple for me!  Totally hear you re sleeping!  My beloved was recently thrilled to find me on my side in bed....exclaiming ' we can spoon again!!!'  I know it can be rough, but  keep up the beautiful postive attitude! (I truly believe it helps!!)  Will keep in touch xxx

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options

Welcome girls

I had a double mastecomy, left in 2007 and then 2010 (my choice) had my right off with expander on the left and immediate implant on the right.  I have now had my expander exchanged for a implant and now have 500cc on both left and right.

I chose the expander rather than the tram flap surgeries mainly because of the recovery time as my children are still primary school age, I could not be away from them for too long,

Hope you are all doing well and great to read some positive posts.

chin to the wind girls.

Love Tanya xx