Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Newly inserted Port a Cath - Pain & Redness

Options
Sam09
Sam09 Member Posts: 149
Hi Ladies!

I had a port a cath put in yesterday under a general.  I am a bit concerned as I am feeling a little unwell, it is hurting and it is red on the area. This just might be because the drugs have worn off. I live a long way from an Emergency dep so have to wait until the morning. Just wondering if anyone can tell me if they experienced this too?  Any advice would be so very much appreciated. 

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Hi Sam - it is advisable if it is red to ring the hospital or your GP or Breastcare nurse - the redness maybe tenderness.  They will probably ask if it is warm, bruised, painful or swollen.  Don't let it be and then find out later it is not right!  The medics would prefer that you get it checked to be safe rather than sorry later.
    Take care and let us know how you go on!
    Share Member Posts: 217
    Options

I agree - better to get it checked it now - whether it is a phone call or a trip to the doctor (Emergency Department).

Especially at this time of year when services start to shutdown.

All the best.

• Tracey62
    Tracey62 Member Posts: 298
    Options
    Hi Sam, just wondering how you went with your port? Did you end up getting it checked out? As the other ladies have advised, it's always worth getting advice from your team. Great news is that once the port is healed and working, it makes treatment and blood tests so much easier. I do hope the trauma of all this settles down and you get to enjoy some time out over Christmas xx
  • Sam09
    Sam09 Member Posts: 149
    Options
    Hi Lovely Ladies
                              No I did not get it checked the redness went however I am wondering if the pain when you move your arm near the port goes. It appears when I move in certain angles I get a stabbing horrible sharp pain. I cannot walk around with my arm stuck to my chest and I hate this and regret the decision to have it inserted. It feels like nerve pain. It sticks out of my chest like a huge golf ball as I am so petite and I feel it in there. It is making me miserable perhaps the surgeon didn't put it in properly or is this what its like. It has been a week today and it is more painful than when it was done. Any advice is so appreciated......
  • rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Hi I can't help with port as I didn't have one, in saying that anything that is red and painful dosen't sound right. I would be giving someone a call there must be a doctors surgery open close for some advice. I think I would be ringing who ever inserted it as they would know what is normal. Hope things get better x
    Share Member Posts: 217
    Options
    Hi Sam,
    I agree with Rowdy, I would have it checked out.

I had a port inserted when I was in hospital earlier this year and whilst it was quite tender initially it was more of an annoyance than a source of pain,

I don't believe it should be more painful now than when it was inserted.

Best wishes to you. x

Sheryl      
  • wendy_h67
    wendy_h67 Member, Dragonfly Posts: 466
    Options
    I had a port a cath put in Last Tuesday it seems to be okay, but the water proof dressing is still intact. I had a low grade temp for a few days which has settled .I went back to the hospital the afternoon after surgery because of my temp being elevated. They kept me for observation for the afternoon.  The Surgeon said that he gave me strong antibiotics I.V during surgery so he was sure things would settle down.  If you are concerned I would ring the hospital. I have my next lot of chemo on the 28th so I hope it will go okay 
  • Jess_BCNA
    Jess_BCNA Member Posts: 475
    Options
    Hi there @Sam09 - I just wanted to jump in to say that I am sorry to hear on this post that you are experiencing discomfort with your port. I just wanted also add, that sometimes it can be best to visit and talk with a medical professional if you have any concerns or are experiencing any discomfort. Please let me know if you need any help online, and I hope you start feeling a little better soon.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    I was reading up on the nursing side of portacaths and it said it takes about two weeks to heal if that's any help to you. The pain with movement could be a rare pinching action and you need to see your doctor to make sure its not that. Don't put up with it Sam, it shouldn't be a problem once it has settled. Get it checked.
  • Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    Options
    Hi Sam  I had a portacath inserted last January and then reinserted in June. I agree with Brenda - it takes about 2 weeks for the discomfit to settle down. I have had a few problems with mine but honestly it is the best thing I ever did as the pain from collapsed veins was a lot worse. Hang in there. When everything settles down it will be better. I finished 12 months of treatment in November and will be keeping my port for another 2 years although I will have to have it flushed every 6 weeks for the next 2 years. I still think that it will be the best thing as I never want to go back to have regular cannulas ever again. Everyone is different though.

Good luck with it.

Nadine