a Newbie needing reassurance

2»

Comments

• TripleNegMama
    TripleNegMama Member Posts: 47
    Hi Kath,  I found that the breast care nurses were great with info - just keep asking questions.  ask for any extra help you think you might need.  While I have a connective tissue disorder as well that complicated things I just kept asking for help.  some extra's that I found helped were - physio for cording in the arm following surgery, physio can also refer you to hydrotherapy which is a gentler way to exercise if you are finding your normal exercise routine too hard, When my daughter had to have surgery and I was going through chemo the hospital social worker was able to arrange for us to be flown to the city so I didn't have to drive.  The local cancer group here called me up and told me about a local nurse who is trained in cancer massage - and they pay half the cost - was a really great way to be able to relax when stressed without it costing too much and also knowing that because of her training it was safe for me to do.   When you find a really good person at taking your bloods - you know the one that hurts less than the others - you can ask for them by name each time - just knowing you don't have to put up with a trainee digging around trying to find a vein makes the hassle of weekly bloods that bit easier.  You have enough stress - do everything you can to be gentle to yourself during this time.
    Hugs!!
  • KathSe
    KathSe Member Posts: 29
    My pathology was graded at grade 2 and stage 2 with the 9 mm lesion with clear sentinel node biopsy and MRI clear that may be why but I still would have prefered more testing done.  Feel ok and have managed 4 ACs . I have been extemely anxious and also eating proberly and not drinking alcohol which is why I have lost so much weight but I still would have prefered more testing.  How big was your tumour?  What sought of follow up is recommended after treatment?  I still have 12 paxitaxol and radiotherapy to go yet but I want to make sure after its done and the Drs differ so much?  Did you have your chemo in Bathurst?  My daughter and son in law moved there in May
    cheers
    Kath
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    @KathySeward ....Mine is a stage 1 grade 3....at 1.9cm (19mm) ....so yours has to be a lesser stage ...unless it is classed as DCIS and not invasive breast cancer. It can be confusing but I would check your pathology report.

https://canceraustralia.gov.au/affected-cancer/cancer-types/breast-cancer/diagnosis/stages-breast-cancer
  • Karenhappyquilter
    Karenhappyquilter Member Posts: 242
    Dear Kath, so sorry to hear your news. Yes it's a shock and very scary.  The treatment can be most unpleasant at times, at other times it's quite ok.  90% of woman with breast cancer survive five years.  This is very good news.  You just have to turn up for the treatment and manage the side effects.  There is medication to help with side effects.   It turns out we women with breast cancer are much stronger than we knew.   Amazingly we cope somehow through the treatment and the fear and then most of us move on with our lives.  Our energy returns, our hair grows, we wear our scars proudly.  We will never be the same again, in many ways this is not a bad thing.  The very best of luck to you.  Karen