Power squared

Options
Deanne
Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
edited October 2016 in Health and wellbeing
This is one of my husbands favourite sayings. He uses it to describe the situation where something has more than one benefit and the benefit is then multiplied rather than just added on (yes he's an engineer!).

That is what I am finding regarding the Weight Class (for bone health) that I now attend 2 to 3 times a week. I know a lot of people take part in Rehab Exercise classes such as the Encore program etc. I imagine they find the same thing as I am finding. The benefits are not just improved well-being through exercising but also the support and friendship of the others in the class. The class has some other women who have also had breast cancer as well as other health challenges. 

So we are experiencing support, friendship and increased strength etc. It is a powerful way to achieve these important components in our lives. The good thing is these classes are not just for a few weeks. They are on-going and so will be the benefits. I feel so much happier and look forward to every session. I think, for me, this has been my best way yet to receive, and give, support AND I'm getting stronger and healthier at the same time! It's so much more than just an exercise class, so much more than just a support group.  :)
Tagged:

Comments

• Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    Options
    This sounds wonderful @Deanne x
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    Fantastic Deanne.  I'm going to try and find a similar class on the Gold Coast.  If anyone is aware of one, could you please let me know.  I already have some loss of bone density in my hip and now that I'm taking Arimidex I'd like to be part of a more structured exercise programme rather than going it alone at the gym.  Wonderful to be doing this with other women who have had breast cancer - absolutely Win Win!!    Jane :)
  • Deanne
    Options
    You might like to try "The Bone Clinic". That is who is running the class I attend. They have a training facility just like the one I attend on the Gold Coast (not sure where but it might be on their website I think). Also have facilities at Coorparoo and Hendra in Brisbane. Just google the Bone Clinic and give their main office a call. I have never found a gym as friendly as this and their whole focus is on improving bone density. Not everyone has had a cancer history but many have had various health challenges that have lead to bone density problems. They are having some amazing results and success.My bone density was really suffering after a year on Femara. I am very hopeful that this will improve it. I'm sure enjoying it anyway!  :)
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    Thanks very much Deanne - I will look into it :)
  • Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    Options
    So glad you are getting such great results from your workouts - lifting over 1/2 your bodyweight already is amazing!  The Bone Clinic does have classes on the Gold Coast at Southport, but you need to do the training at Coorparoo first ,as you did, before going to local training.  (If this has changed when Jane rings, please pass it on!)  My bone density didn't warrant a referral for treatment, so wasn't quite as cost-effective, although private health insurance covers a lot of the expense.
    I would love to do the classes just for the preventative aspect, if they do them separately.  xx Michelle
  • Deanne
    Options
    Your bone density was pretty good, Michelle! :) They do need to assess you at Coorparoo before you begin. You see the Exercise Physiologist who makes sure you are ok to begin the classes and can also modify the techniques specifically for people if necessary. You also see their dietician. 

Some of the people we have attending our new classes on the Sunshine Coast are only beginners. As the classes are very small at the moment they get very close supervision. I think they are learning much faster than I did in the bigger beginners classes at Coorparoo. Maybe they are just more coordinated than me! I don't know whether they take beginners or how big the classes at the Gold Coast centre are. But you definitely need to attend the Coorparoo facility for that initial assessment at least.  :)