Improving Bone Density

Options
2»

Comments

• Lmc1310
    Lmc1310 Member Posts: 120
    Options
    Hi there. I started the program at Northern Beaches Physiotherapy, Dee Why on the final week of my herceptin. They are accredited to run the Griffith University Bone Clinic program. I have osteoporosis in arms and osteopenia spine. I will be taking arimidex for next 9.5 years so needed to do something fast. After three sessions I am dead lifting 20ks and I am nearly 67 and totally, and I mean totally, unfit. The program,  physios and exercise physiologists are really dedicated to the program as they saw fantastic results in Brisbane. I drive from Terrigal twice a week and one lady was driving from Newcastle. The woman from Newcastle sourced and bought the equipment (not too expensive) and now that her technique is spot on she will attend the clinic once a month or so (I believe). Eventually i will do the same as two hour drive each way is a bit too much long term. I am also doing pilates for cancer recovery with Ruth Todd another physio in a little old church hall in Terrigal. Both programs are proving to be so beneficial for my physical and emotional wellbeing. I hope that our country sisters will be able to access the ONERO program or plan a holiday to the city to get a start on the program. I also hope that BCNA will continue and up their support for  exercise. Particularly guided, scientifically proven weight lifting for reversing osteoporosis and preventing falls. Wouldn't it be great to have bone clinic buses travelling around the country. PS men are attending these clinics too. Enjoy your Sunday everyone 
  • Lmc1310
    Lmc1310 Member Posts: 120
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @Deanne I love that I am being closely watched and guided by professionals, meeting lovely people in similar and different circumstances, how quickly I am improving and crossing off sets on the whiteboard. I feel so lucky to be able to do this program. I am pleased you are liking it too.
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    Options
    Hi @Lmc1310
    It is amazing how quickly you improve. I have now been doing the program for almost 2 years and I am still improving! My bone density has really improved (completely reversed my osteoporosis at the spine) and I find that my functional movement has too. It doesn’t hurt to squat down and I know how to lift something heavy in a safe way. It has made everything easier :)

After my mastectomy and treatment I found getting comfortable to sleep was a challenge. The program has strengthened my core muscles, chest and back too. Now I can sleep comfortably in positions that I used to pre-cancer. It’s the little things like that that  mean so much to your quality of life!

The idea of bone clinic buses is a great one! It would benefit so many people.  :)
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Bone density screening for us in our area is a mobile service 
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @Deanne, @Lmc1310 and all,
    How exciting. Weightlifting for bone density and fitness is the missing piece in my rebuilding. It sounds like I can  do it from home if needed. Thanks for the info.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    There was a book out, years ago, called Strong Women Stay Young.  I don't know how the exercises would suit post bc but they were aimed at middle-aged to elderly to improve fitness and bone density from memory.
  • Deanne
    edited June 2018
    Options
    The main thing that seems to have come out of the research through this particular program is that in order to actually reverse the osteoporosis lifting must be done consistently and progressively. The idea is to keep challenging the bone to grow stronger. Lifting heavy weights MUST be done correctly to avoid injury. At a recent seminar that I attended at The Bone Clinic they stressed that training is very important to learn the correct technique. In the thousands of classes they have run now,they have only had one injury. They teach you how to know when you are ready to increase the weight. It is important to listen to your body. Some days for whatever reason you might not be able to lift as heavy as the last time. Then the next week you actually go heavier again.

I attended training classes for 2 months before really lifting any weights. Then I increased the weights under supervision until I could lift very heavy weights. I can now deadlift my own body weight, back squat 91% of my body weight and am still improving. I had never lifted weights before starting the program. It feels good to feel strong and capable  :)
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    Options
    I wish there were more of these clinics Australia wide. Maybe one day. I looked at the online course, unfortunately it is not the same as the clinics you attend @Deanne. It is targeted more at falls prevention and balance etc. That said it is certainly better than nothing. What great results you have had. 
    Paula x
  • Deanne
    Options
    Hi @mum2jj
    Many exercise physiologists are becoming aware of the research and this program. They can become licensed (I think that is the correct term) to run the program in their own locations. Hopefully this might mean that the program becomes available to more people in more locations fairly quickly.

It teaches you a lot about the importance of building and maintaining bone mass throughout your life. My daughters, both in their twenties, are at the stage where they can still build bone mass or density very easily. Through what I have learned they now both do weight training as part of their fitness routines. Hopefully they will never be in the position of being diagnosed with osteoporosis. If I had started off with better bone density, the effects of treatment may not have led to osteoporosis for me. Strong is good!  :)
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    Options
    Thanks @Deanne, I see an exercise physiologist for my back pain. He is young and a one man show. I must mention this to him. I have a friend with a young daughter who is a personal trainer, she keeps asking me to train with her, but am worried about not being with someone who is trained properly. Wish I’d kept up the weight training I did in my 20’s. 
    Yiur esults are awesome. 
    Paula xx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Inspirational @Deanne