Finished Chemo I want to lose the 10kgs I put on any suggestions

Arleene
Arleene Member Posts: 238
edited January 2016 in Health and wellbeing

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I finished Chemo on Monday yahoo, onto the next chapter on my journey. I want to get into a healthy lifestyle, the cancer council is offering a free 8 week yoga program, I've never done yoga before but I have always wanted to, I also help my hubby run an athletics club for which I am a level 1 coach and he's a level 2 coach, I just don't know where to start I am in between treatments my Rads doesn't start until the 22nd of Febuary and I need to lose 10- 20 kgs can someone give me some advice please.

Thanks Anitaxx

Comments

• VickyF
    VickyF Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2016

Hello Anita,

I put on about 10kgs after I finished my rad treatment. I blamed it on the tamoxifen but I think it was more about emotional eating, if I'm being honest.

I was referred to a dietician by my GP and after a couple of false starts I was put on the 5 and 2 diet. The dietician had researched the diet and, my understanding is, the diet is good for BC ladies.

I'm now in maintenance mode but I saw as low but steady weight loss over 12 months, dropping 12kg over that time. I can honestly say I haven't felt that I am missing out on any of the fun foods but portion size does play a big role, so everything in moderation, now!

Vicky

• Kim R
    Kim R Member Posts: 146
    edited January 2016

Hi Anita,

you sound very fit. All I can say is go slow, I have done yoga for 6 years but during chemo I could not practice, I was too dizzy and there was too much introversion, I preferred walking or paddling. Being in nature I found more beneficial than being in my own head! I will get back into it soon. Radiation I found to leave me fatigued so be kind to yourself. But after all the chemo meds stop I found my appetite has reduced. I lost about one kilo a week on rads.

all the best

Kim

• Tracey62
    Tracey62 Member Posts: 298
    edited January 2016

Hi Anita,

wonderful news that you have finished chemo, you have done so well. A good time to work on rebuilding strength but be careful about jumping into weight loss before you finish radiation. The planning & computer mapping they use to direct the radiation is affected by our body size. I was told by my Rad Onc not to lose more than 5kg before I finish radiation. If I do they need to redo CT planning & tattoos.  So far I've lost 3kg and halfway thru rads, hoping I get away without having to re CT. Talk to your Rad Onc & see what they advise. All the best, Tracey ??

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Orbost, VictoriaPosts: 0
    edited January 2016

Hi Anita, woo hoo, chemo finished. Glad that you're having a break before rads start. I've been swimming, and have found that this is a fantastic and gentle way to start exercising. It's gentle and low impact, and I've found that it's helping me strengthen my right arm. 

Sending you a mega cuddle, Trace ????????????

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,315
    edited January 2016

Hi there,

I started off very slow. I walked and each day went a bit further. I continued to walk every day during rads too.  Tracey has given y you good advice re the weight loss during radiation.

Well done on finishing chemo.

YOu go girl

Paula x

• shmoo
    shmoo Member Posts: 59
    edited January 2016

Hi Anita,

Congrats on finishing your chemo!  Don't worry about your weight gain (easy to say) but you will lose it in time.  Try the 5:2 diet it is fabulous!!  I designate 2 days a week where I calorie restrict to 500 calories a day.  It is difficult for the first 2 weeks, but after that it becomes a breeze.  Keep yourself busy on those calorie restriction days and it will go quickly.  The book suggests doing 2 non-consecutive days and skipping breakfast (you can have tea or coffee).  It is easier to divide 500 calories into 2 meals.  Then on the other 5 days eat normally (obviously still watching portions).  I still treat myself on the other days and it makes no difference to the weight loss.  You actually feel quite empowered being able to stick to this diet on those 2 days per week.  It is a gradual weight loss of around 1/2 kilo per week (maybe a little more on some weeks) but it stays off!  Then once you have reached your goal you continue on this diet, but it becomes a 6:1 - this keeps you in check at the weight you wish to remain at.

Good luck with your weight loss.

Let's hope your biggest battle is over!

Susie