Travel Insurance

Options
vickimarie
vickimarie Member Posts: 7
edited September 2016 in Day to day

I am confused about breast cancer & travel insurance. My treatment finished over a year ago and my 1 year check up was all clear. I am going to Europe but the travel insurance companies I have contacted have said yes it is pre-existing and really upped the cost. I can understand if you have heart problems etc where you may need medical attention while you are away but I consider 'my condition' no longer exists! And anyway if it did come back while I was away I wouldn't need treatment right there and then.

One company even wanted to charge me $75 to do a risk assessment test before even giving me the insurance and one doubled the insurance!!!!!

I know BCNA have a fact sheet on it but I'm really interested in seeing what others have to say. 

Regards Vickimarie

- See more at: https://www.bcna.org.au/online-network/members/MaggieR/blog/travel-insurance-1#/comments

Comments

• Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,195
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi Vickimarie, our family travelled to the UK earlier this year and were insured by Medibank Private Travel Insurance. They offer automatic cover for breast cancer based on the following (from their PDS): 

Breast/Prostate/Kidney/Bowel/Colon Cancer – If You
    were diagnosed over 6 months ago, have not had any
    chemotherapy or radiotherapy in the last 6 months,
    Your cancer has not spread beyond the primary site
    at any time and Your Journey is less than 6 months.
    In respect of prostate cancer You must also have a
    Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) of 10 or less.

Might be worth investigating. Best of luck with it. Jane xx 

• rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi Irecently travelled and used covermore and it says breast cancer in the booklet. I'm off again and using someone else and didn't mention as I'm not in active treatment and if something went wrong with my bc I would come home. Good luck

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi Vickimarie. If you haven't already, check the link below your post. It sounds like it might be worth a look. I was going to comment that someone had recently posted about a travel insurer, and the link is that post.

hope you can organise it all, & can have a wonderful holiday.

take care, Lyn

• DaisyMarigold
    DaisyMarigold Member Posts: 315
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi Vickimarie - yes, it's a pain, isn't it. I've just posted a blog somewhere about this. I spent hours today checking out travel insurance for the USA. 2 weeks, and it's costing me about $350. Ouch. I've insured with Insure and Go, and am covered for BC plus some back issues. I'm not concerned about something happening with BC over there, but more about the unlikely event of the cancer coming back and having to cancel. I've checked out a lot of other companies, including Medibank Private, but they either have dreadful reviews for mishandling claims, or they won't insure me for both health issues. Some of the other companies I discarded included AAMI, Southern Cross, Worldcare and others I can't remember. Hope this helps. Pam.