Leaukemia Diagnosis

Options
Judy Dennis
Judy Dennis Member Posts: 32
edited July 2015 in Health and wellbeing

I just wondered if anyone else had also been diagnosed with AML Leaukemia and how they are coping?  I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer just before Christmas 2012 and had a reconstruction in April the following year.  Just before Christmas last year I was diagnosed with AML Leaukemia.  I spent five and a half months in Box Hill Hospital and am now in remission.  However I now need a stem cell transplant as there is a very high chance of the Leaukemia retuning within two years because it is secondary to the Breast Cancer.  I am currently waiting for a donor.  I have been told the Leaukemia was caused from the chemo for Breast Cancer.   Judy

Comments

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,846
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hello Judy
    I am not suffering from AML however my brother passed away suddenly from undiagnosed AML so my thoughts and prayers are with you.
    I know the old Box Hill Hospital very well but have heard it has undergone great re-building.
    All the best with finding a suitable donor. What are the criteria ?
    Kind regards
    Summer
  • Judy Dennis
    Judy Dennis Member Posts: 32
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi Summer,  I was in the very new Box Hill hospital, the Oncology Ward was so very good, the best care.  I just wait now encouraging people to go on the Bone Marrow Donor Registry.  Red Cross website.  I know there is a cut off age of 45 so if people are older than that they cannot be a donor.  My only Brother was tested but unfortunately he was not a match.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Orbost, VictoriaPosts: 0
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi Judy, a friend of mine has had the same history and diagnosis of AML recently. She is on oral medication for the time being. Thinking of you with support during this difficult time, Tracey B ??

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,846
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi Judy
    Being a blood donor I looked in to being a bone marrow donor many years ago but the time off work (i.e. finances) was prohibitive.
    Do you have sufficient info to put something on this website as ladies may be able to appeal to their friends and family - after all, if people cannot help (like your brother) then they may be open to helping another BCNA lady. Worth a go. Many people do not know of the need out there.
    All the best
    Summer :-)
  • Lisa_BCNA
    Lisa_BCNA Staff Posts: 140
    edited July 2015
    Options

Dear Judy,

It's Lisa from the Policy Team. I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis of leukaemia. It is good to hear that you are in remission. You may already have been in touch with the Leukaemia Foundation, but in case you haven't, they offer a range of supports, programs and information that might be useful. They can also connect you to local support groups and services. The Foundation's contact number is 1800 620 420 and you can find their website here.

The Cancer Council of Victoria also offers a number support services that may be helpful. Information about the different supports is available here.

All the very best!
    Lisa