How long does neuropathy last

Options
Gillian2069
Gillian2069 Member Posts: 46
edited June 2015 in Health and wellbeing

My oncologist has recommended that I skip my last three Taxol treatments due to the numbness in my fingers and toes - peripheral neuropathy.

Does anyone know how long it might take for the numbness to pass now that chemo has ended?

The Taxol has also caused Actinic Keratosis on my hands which the Onc explained as the Taxol fighting sun damage in the skin (which doesn't quite gel with what I have read online, but no matter). Once again, has anyone had this (it seems quite rare) and how long did it take to settle down?

I was delighted to hear that we would end the chemo. I felt like I was out of the gulag, looking back at chemo through the rear vision mirror!

Now I have a few weeks to build my strength before radiation.

Many thanks,

Gillian

Comments

• Mozzie Bear
    Mozzie Bear Member Posts: 88
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi Gillian, I finished Taxol in March and also had peripheral neuropathy in my fingers and feet.  After a couple of weeks my only my toes and the sole near my toes plus my fingers remained affected.  I still have the problem although I have good days when it doesn't seem too bad.  I find the type of footwear I choose can effect how my feet feel by the end of the day.  at home I only wear ugg boots or slippers and that definitely helps.  Most of the time my fingers are ok but as I sit here typing I can feel them tingling.

I don't know how long it will last but I understand that it may not clear up.  I am hopeful that over time it will continue to improve. No quick fix and as far as I know, nothing to be done to help.

Good luck.  I hope it clears up sooner rather that later for you.  Maureen

• Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi, my tingly feet has only just gone and I finished chemo in March last year. I didn't have any trouble with my hands. Good luck with your radiation, take care, 

Hazel xx

• Gillian2069
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hmm... sounds like I better plan for this to be a long term issue.

Thanks Maureen.

• Gillian2069
    edited June 2015
    Options

Oh, well, I better think long term. Thanks Hazel.