Hair!!!

Options
Tracy-6
Tracy-6 Member Posts: 22
edited May 2015 in Health and wellbeing

ok ...thoughts please... Wigs...real hair or not .... I have only had the synthetic type but would love opinions...please

Comments

• Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi Tracy, I had a synthetic wig which I used to wear occasionally, I much preferred my scarves. I was always fiddling around with my wig when I had it on. I found the difficult time was when my hair started growing back, not quite enough to go without headwear but too much to wear any other headwear.  In the end I just took a giant leap and went without anything on my head. Amazing how many people said how trendy I looked. I live in Queensland so the wig was unbearable in the summer. All the best,

Hazel xx

• Mozzie Bear
    Mozzie Bear Member Posts: 88
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi Tracey, I had a synthetic wig - mid range price at $400 but most people didn't know it was a wig and used to say what a great haircut it was. Like Hazel I didn't wear it a lot though.  I found my head would get itchy and found I preferred my hats and bandanas and when my hair was long enough I went without as well.  Try some on plus the cancer council has wigs you can borrow.  Maureen

• rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi Tracy I had a synthetic wig with a good cut,. I also didn't wear mine much. I worked during chemo and mainly wore it for work so clients didn't know I was sick. I wore scarfs and brought alot of cheap ones with lots of colour.

I have to tell you what happened one day. I'm a carer and visit people in there homes, one day while visiting a client I stepped into the shower cubilce and fell flat on my bum. I was so embarressed and the family were so worried because I had difficulty getting off the floor. The funny part was  when I was regaining my composure,I had a hot flush and what I normally do is take my wig off. I raised my hand to take it off and relised where I was and quickly took my hand away. I think I would have had the clients on the floor with shock when they seen my bald head. Wear what you feel comfortable in.

• Tracy-6
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi, thanks,

yes I know that exact feeling of needing to get stuff off...lol yes could have been awkward...I have two good cuts...which have fooled a few LOL

• Tracy-6
    edited May 2015
    Options

Have only braved the no wig once so far... Not in my home town though... HoHum...

Am starting a new treatment today..as we speak... So I'm thinking any hair will be leaving again ??

• Tracy-6
    edited May 2015
    Options

Yes hot in summer I struggled with that too...have struggled with the no hair thing though...starting new treatment so thinking I'll be losing hair again ??

• Chenners
    Chenners Member Posts: 19
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi Tracey,

i am now coming out the other end and have a cool boy cut. Personally, I bought a synthetic wig for "going out" and ended up wearing my turbans and scarves all other times. The wigs can be hot and not terribly comfortable. Time soon passes and I think that the cost of natural hair is high. I chose not to distress my dear mum with my health issues and she never knew that my synthetic hair was not my own! She even complimented me on the cut and colour.

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi Tracy,I had an expensive real hair wig and I hardly wore it.You have to wash real hair ones and then restyle them cos they don't

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited May 2015
    Options

Oops,finger slipped.You have to blow dry and restyle real hair wigs. Whereas acrylic wigs bounce back after washing. I found mine so itchy and hot- could only wear it for a few hours at a time. It's good to have for a special event but otherwise I wore caps and bandanas I got my head stuff from www.headcovers.com

• Danae
    Danae Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi Tracy...I spent a small fortune on a mixed synthetic/human hair wig...and hardly wore it. Spent $40 each on 2 synthetic wigs from Paddy's markets in Sydney....and wore one of them all the time..ie work etc etc....and the pink one to parties. Perfect!!

Careful of spending a fortune on wigs. time goes quickly - and the cheap ones from the markets are really really good!

Have fun with them....(if possible!)

Danae

• Glynnis
    Glynnis Member Posts: 353
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi Tracy. I have a synthetic one but like most of you have found it good for going out, then I get hot so at the moment I'm going with nothing and quite enjoying it, when I do wear my wig out I usually take it off I the car on the way home lol but in saying that I have also got a couple of $20 ones just for a change but an tending towards nothing or my scarfs or hats at the moment not sure if this helps you or not. Glynnis 

• mica2704
    mica2704 Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2015
    Options

Synthetic which I used for going out of the house, shopping etc.  Wore quite a bit (it got a bit matted towards the end as it rubbed against my shoulders/collar). Got lots of compliments on the cut and colour as well… unfortunately my real hair is never going to behave like that!! LOL
    I would really recommend getting the bamboo cap for under the wig.  It was the best $30 ever spent and really does help with the heat.

• lynnemh
    lynnemh Member Posts: 27
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi Tracy, I had my first round of chemo in 2011 and bought a wig. I did not like how people treated me when I wore a turban. When the chemo finished , my hair did not grow back properly. It was too thin and patchy and I was not happy going out with the way it looked so I kept wearing a wig. Obviously vanity was important to me. It can be annoying and in Qld it is hot but I have got used to it. My family, friends and neighbours know I have no hair and wear a wig.

I have travelled to South America, Turkey, Morocco, France and Singapore over the past few years and I take two wigs  with me so I always have one ready to go. I take turbans too but only wear them at a spa or hammam.

It is an individual thing whether to wear a wig or a turban. But it does take time to get used to.

Lynnemh

• Tracy-6
    edited June 2015
    Options

Thanks hugs x

• Tracy-6
    edited June 2015
    Options

Thanks hugs x