Really living again!

Options
Deanne
Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
edited April 2015 in Health and wellbeing

It can be really hard to get your confidence back after treatment. So hard to not be constantly scared of recurrence, of getting out in the world again and so hard to know what the new you really wants after BC.

I had a hard time around Christmas when I realised that a whole year had passed since I finished treatment and I still felt lost and unsure in many ways. On New Years Eve I sat at home watching a Pink concert on TV. She is so fearless on that trapeze and as I watched her let go and fly through the air something inside me felt a little rush of adrenaline and I wanted to let go of my fears and just take a leap into life again. 

A week or so later I found my way of taking that leap. 

Next Monday myself and 5 other people (one of them my very wonderful husband) from Queensland will be about to  have the adventure of our lives as we make last minute preparations in Kathmandu, Nepal, before beginning a 19 day trek to Mt Everest Base Camp. Together we have raised thousands of dollars for research into Cancer and together we will help each other to achieve our goal of reaching Base Camp at an altitude of almost 5500m. It will be hard but not as hard as what we all endure during diagnosis and treatment.

I will use many of the techniques that helped me through a mastectomy, chemo, radio, recovery and now the joys of hormone therapy! I will take it one step at a time. I know that I can do really hard things (thanks to BC) if I do this. 

So for all the people out there wondering if their life will ever be good again, I want you to know that it can be. Whatever you decide to set your mind to do after you get through treatment you can achieve. You just have to take that leap when you find it and when you are ready for it. It takes time but anything is possible! Hang in there. Deanne xxx

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited April 2015
    Options

You are damm amazing!!I feel so emotional having just read your post! Good on you Deanne,and I hope that it will be everything you hope it will be:):) We will be following your every step!! It's interesting isn't it,that so often we have to experience something so serious as Cancer,to make us question things in our lives.You are a TRUE inspiration Deanne.I so look forward to hearing about your trip!! Take good care of yourself.xoxoxRobyn

• Onga
    Onga Member Posts: 57
    edited April 2015
    Options

Congratulations Deanne,

Keep us posted with your trip.  Cancer certainly makes you look at your life in a different way, hopefully gives us the fight to keep going.  Just shows us all what some can do - true inspiration.  Good luck and take care.   Pam

• Ciaobella57
    Ciaobella57 Member Posts: 26
    edited April 2015
    Options

Good luck Deanne. You are very inspirational. Look forward to hearing about your trip . X

• Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited April 2015
    Options

Great post Deanne, especially for those who are going through treatment and wondering if life does get better. I wish you every success for your trip and can't wait to hear all about it, you are an inspiration to all of us, take care,

Hazel xx

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    edited April 2015
    Options

Wow Deanne,

amazing thr time is nearly here. Good for you and I wish you all the best. 

Cant wait to hear all about it. 

Paula x

• jandy23
    jandy23 Member Posts: 234
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hope you have a truly amazing and awesome trip Deanne. I look forward to reading about it too. Enjoy!

• Deanne
    edited April 2015
    Options

Thank-you for your good wishes, I so appreciate your thoughts and kind words and will need to remember them on the trek, especially when the going gets tough at altitude! I will be updating my blog at 

https://deanneseverest.wordpress.com

whenever I can get a moment and some wifi access on the trek. Would you believe we have Internet access all the way although it will be slow and sometimes unreliable?(A bit like I will be at high altitude!)

Thanks again. Hope you are going well too. Deanne xxx

• Deanne
    edited April 2015
    Options

Forgot to mention my inspirational friends, our guides for the trek, Sharon and Allan Cohrs. Sharon was diagnosed with breast cancer at 36. She had a double mastectomy, chemo and reconstruction before returning to her love of mountain climbing. Just before her 40th birthday she and Allan summited Mt Everest on the 20 May 2011. Sharon has raised over $250 000 for Breast Cancer research and is an ambassador for the Cancer Council. She is an amazing lady who gives back so much to all sorts of wonderful causes. I am truly privileged to have her as a friend. Deanne xxx

• Loubegg
    Loubegg Member Posts: 73
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Good luck Deanne! You are very inspiring and for someone halfway through the journey it's great to know there's life on the other side and a good one at that!! Take care, Louise x
  • Mozzie Bear
    Mozzie Bear Member Posts: 88
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi Deanne, I'm going to look forward to reading your blog. I think it is such an amazing and exciting adventure so I wish you good luck and good fortune. Maureen

• Chixon
    Chixon Member Posts: 153
    edited April 2015
    Options

What an inspiration you are. Just remember that we will all be with you cheering you on. Go girl!!!! Chris x

• Chixon
    Chixon Member Posts: 153
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi Deanne. What an inspiration.!! Just remember that we will all be there in spirit cheering you on. Go girl!! Chris.x

• rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi Deanne reading your last blog you are leaving tomorrow for your trip. After seeing the news I thought of you staight away is everything still going ahead after the earthquake in Nepal? Hope you are well

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi Robyn, I just sent a message to Deanne cos I think she was leaving tomorrow.Am very concerned about her. I somehow stumbled my way to msge her but still can't create a post on here yet. Tonya xx

• Alpal
    Alpal Member Posts: 196
    edited April 2015
    Options

After going to her blog link that Deanne gave above, it appears she and her group are safe and well. They were on their way to Bangkok when the earthquake happened and will now be arranging a flight home again. So disappointing for her, but so thankful that they are safe and well. My prayers go out to those affected in many different ways.