People telling you what you should be doing

Options
Josie13
Josie13 Member Posts: 79
edited April 2011 in Day to day

Don't you love this? Friend recently telling me I should be doing the whole organic juice and vitamin regime. I'm sorry, I don't own a juicer, don't have time to buy all the stuff, juice it, drink it and then wash it all up and repeat 3 times a day....I can hardly keep up with my job, family meals and the mountain of laundry. Some people just don't get it really about what life is really like. BTW pain decrease a lot as not taking Femara over Easter and feel a million times better. Have started on arimidex so will wait and see what that does. How is it when you look up the websites about these drugs and the side effects? Every nasty side effect in the world is on there...so freaky!!I'm hopeful the change will be good as really want to work on my fitness before the big trip away.

Must say ate some great food and chocolate over easter as life is too short to eat bad chocolate !!!

Comments

• Amy
    Amy Member Posts: 233
    edited March 2015
    Options

People always love to give advice.  Maybe it makes them feel better.  I hear you though - it's hard enough keeping all the balls in the air when life is normal let alone with the added pressure of BC.  Between Dr's appointments and trips to hospital for treatment it's hard getting all the regular stuff done.

Having said that, I have started going to a naturopath.  Am feeling better but not sure if that's down to the naturopath or just the fact that it has now been 6 weeks since I've finished radiotherapy and my body is starting to feel 'normal' again!

Glad to hear you ate good chocolate.  I had none!  naturopath's orders!!

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

Life is too short to drink cheap wine!!  Always do what you think is right for you.  It's a bit like having a baby and everyone is there to give advice but run a mile when you need them. Take care and enjoy your exercise program in readiness for your holiday. XLeonie

• moira1
    moira1 Member Posts: 449
    edited March 2015
    Options

yep people are full of good ideas, especially when they havent have never done the journey, my motto was block the ears, bite the tongue, and do what i wanted to anyway. i am also on arimidex since finishing my treatment in jan 2009, and am coping well, a few achy fingers in the morning but once i get them moving they are fine, so good luck and enjoy your freedom of not having to go for treatment, although i know that in itself is scary. where you going to on holiday? please feel free to add me to your contacts, and if i can help just give me a yell..  Regards Moira

• traxx65
    traxx65 Member Posts: 252
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Girls,

Interesting to read about all the people that offer "advice".  My husband is in the emergency services and he receives a call once a month from another guy in the same job but different workplace telling him that "your wife is doing it all wrong, she should be taking this, going here, doing this, you know she brought it on herself because she didn't do such and such!"  All this from a man who washes his fresh vegetables in washing up liquid to get all the chemicals off them!  Please!  He is not even a close friend and I have never met him and certainly don't want too. This guy has also rung another workmate who,  just before Christmas was operated on for early bladder cancer and has now been told he may only have two years, and told him that he was doing it all wrong too.

I have warned my husband to make sure that this so called "well meaning" bloke had better not be in the same room as me because if I find him there will be hell to pay!

This is why this site is so great.  We are all there or have been there and we get it.  You can't beat experience when it comes to something like this and unfortunately and fortunately there are quite a few of  us that have had the experience.

I know people are well meaning, but sometimes it is better to keep opions and advice to themselves and just ask "How are you going?"

Sorry to ramble, but this guy really gets on my goat and I had to tell someone.  Ha Ha.

All the best in your treatments girls.

Tracey xx

• traxx65
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Girls,

Interesting to read about all the people that offer "advice".  My husband is in the emergency services and he receives a call once a month from another guy in the same job but different workplace telling him that "your wife is doing it all wrong, she should be taking this, going here, doing this, you know she brought it on herself because she didn't do such and such!"  All this from a man who washes his fresh vegetables in washing up liquid to get all the chemicals off them!  Please!  He is not even a close friend and I have never met him and certainly don't want too. This guy has also rung another workmate who,  just before Christmas was operated on for early bladder cancer and has now been told he may only have two years, and told him that he was doing it all wrong too.

I have warned my husband to make sure that this so called "well meaning" bloke had better not be in the same room as me because if I find him there will be hell to pay!

This is why this site is so great.  We are all there or have been there and we get it.  You can't beat experience when it comes to something like this and unfortunately and fortunately there are quite a few of  us that have had the experience.

I know people are well meaning, but sometimes it is better to keep opions and advice to themselves and just ask "How are you going?"

Sorry to ramble, but this guy really gets on my goat and I had to tell someone.  Ha Ha.

All the best in your treatments girls.

Tracey xx

• Josie13
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am interested to know how you find the arimidex as I have switched from Femara due to being like a cripple for the last 4 months. I want to enjoy life and not be hobbling around like an old lady ( I hope I get to be a  "little old lady" though). I stopped the femara before easter and had a week before starting the arimidex and felt a million times better. I took Tamoxifen for four years and it was hell....lots of complications. Sometimes I think the cure is what is going to kill one! I am going on long service leave in June. We are going to London, Paris, SW France, Provence and Hong Kong. We are leaving our children (18 & 15) home to look after themselves which they think is going to be fantastic fun but wait till there is no hot dinner or clean clothes! Actually, it's the break from the routine I am looking forward to as it seems endless the food prep, washing and all things domestic. It takes something like bc to motivate me to actually take my leave and get organised otherwise one tends to just drift along with vague ideas on doing things"one day". 

• Josie13
    edited March 2015
    Options

What can one say about this really? As for bringing it upon yourself, well that's pretty stupid too. It's bad enough thinking about these issues anyway without people judging you. I often ponder" why" myself but could have something to do with my mother and grandmother having BC?? My mother always thought it was when she was newly married (in the 50's) her suburb was sprayed with DDT to kill the blackberries and we have had a very serious cancer history in our family (me, mum,dad, one of my brothers). It's interesting isn't it? But, the one thing is we don't need people judging us GRRRR!

• traxx65
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Josie,

The area being sprayed seems to make sense to me as does the history.  There isn't a history of BC in my family I am the first.  I often think that growing up when a lot of changes to our foods was occurring may have something to do with it.  There were lots of changes and new foods that happened in the 70's and I don't know how stringent the rules were then, but I know most familes were glad to buy the new products because they were convenient.

What other issues did you have with the Femara.  I was on it for about 18 months.  I didn't seem to get any physical side effects but I always seemed to feel a bit anxious, grumpy and overall just not quite right with it.  I think I actually felt uncomfortable about being on it.

Hope you enjoy your holiday.    All the best.

Tracey