Glad this group exists

Options
Wildflower
Wildflower Member Posts: 29
edited February 2015 in Health and wellbeing

I've always had an issue with anxiety but managed it ok until my diagnosis in November 2014. Needless to say, the diagnosis sent me into a tailspin that landed me in the emergency department of my local hospital just days after my first chemo treatment.

I've just had my 5th chemo treatment and am managing much better but I was so glad to discover this group. It's so good to know I'm not alone in feeling the way I did.

Comments

• Natasha
    Natasha Member Posts: 85
    edited March 2015
    Options

Some days are hard.  I think the days after chemo are the hardest.  It takes me a while to get myself together again.   About four days after the treatments I get very 'sad' and I am starting to think it's a pattern.  A few days later I seem to pull out of it.  I've only had two rounds of chemo and have 6 to go.  Chemo sux! 

• Wildflower
    edited March 2015
    Options

You're so right Natasha. Chemo is the hardest thing ever! I'm supposed to have 6 treatments but my oncologist keeps threatening me with a 7th. The first treatment was definitely the hardest of all though. Its hard not to feel sad when you're feeling so sick and have no energy!

• Natasha
    Natasha Member Posts: 85
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm having four rounds of AC first and I'm hoping the later Doxitaxel will be easier, but I have no idea. I guess everybody is different.  Sometimes I think it would be easier if I could go to sleep for seven months and wake up when it's all over.  Wouldn't that be great?  Sometimes I feel like I'm wishing my life away.

• Wildflower
    edited March 2015
    Options

I had three rounds of FEC and have just last week had the second of three rounds of Docetaxel. The Docetaxel has been a bit easier in that I didn't feel so nauseous. That was the worst side effect for me. But it has made me very fatigued. But as long as I'm not fatigued and nauseous, I consider that a slight plus.

I know what you mean about wanting to sleep through it all. I felt extremely trapped when I was first diagnosed and envious of everyone who walked along the street looking healthy. Are you seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist? Once I found some medical professionals who told me my feelings were perfectly normal I was so relieved and started to feel I could cope a bit better. 

If you'd like, send me a contact and we can chat more privately :)

• Cook65
    Cook65 Member Posts: 733
    edited March 2015
    Options

Chemo is definitely the hardest.  It hit me very hard physically.  I was dreadfully ill.  By round 4 I dropped my bundle all together and thought how am I going to do 2 more of these?  But I did and I've done 33 radiotherapy treatments and now only have 4 more months of herceptin to make it through and then I'm done.  It is amazing how much better you feel knowing that you aren't the only one and that you're not going crazy and that your emotions are "normal".  This whole experience is so surreal and abnormal. 

Wishing you both well with the rest of your treatments.  Karen xox

• Wildflower
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Karen! It absolutely helps to know that feeling utterly overwhelmed is normal. The doctors and nurses are obviously so focused on getting us well, I think they forget to tell us it's ok to feel like your life has gone crazy.

• Wildflower
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Karen! It absolutely helps to know that feeling utterly overwhelmed is normal. The doctors and nurses are obviously so focused on getting us well, I think they forget to tell us it's ok to feel like your life has gone crazy.

• Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015
    Options

I had depression & anxiety well before my diagnosis. I was ok at first throughout the diagnosis & lumpectomy, I believe that was because I always expected to get breast cancer (family history). However when chemo was suggested as part of my treatment, my depression & anxiety hit hard. I didn't think I could do it. I struggled with the last 3 doses of Docetaxol, my partner developed heart issues, I started to sink. I focused on one day at a time, and some of those days were awful but we came through. I'm still on medication for my depression but I'm so much stronger now and as strange as it sounds, I have BC to thank for that. When I first blogged on this site, I was so unsure of everything, now I credit the website and the wonderful ladies who contribute to it, for helping me emotionally. We are much stronger than we think, all the best,

Hazel xx

• Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015
    Options

I had depression & anxiety well before my diagnosis. I was ok at first throughout the diagnosis & lumpectomy, I believe that was because I always expected to get breast cancer (family history). However when chemo was suggested as part of my treatment, my depression & anxiety hit hard. I didn't think I could do it. I struggled with the last 3 doses of Docetaxol, my partner developed heart issues, I started to sink. I focused on one day at a time, and some of those days were awful but we came through. I'm still on medication for my depression but I'm so much stronger now and as strange as it sounds, I have BC to thank for that. When I first blogged on this site, I was so unsure of everything, now I credit the website and the wonderful ladies who contribute to it, for helping me emotionally. We are much stronger than we think, all the best,

Hazel xx

• rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi ladies I'm getting close to the end of treatment but still struggle with my emotions being everywhere. When I went through chemo I thoought I would never get to the end, but here Iam with only 4 more herceptins to go.

I have more surgery next week to make my new boobs even and Tamoxafan for 10 years, 2015 is going to be better. I wouldn't say it gets easier but some how you get used to the appointments and all the stuff that goes with bc.

Hang in there